Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After alot of thought, I decided to keep my Passion Coupe and not sell it for a cabriolet. I have always liked the look of vertical doors, so I purchased a set. This kit was very easy to install, it just took alot of time. Total time spent with installation and modifying the panels was about 6 hours. I have included pictures of the adjustable hinges, they are very high quality and a perfect fit. The door opening is limited by about 6 inches, so it doesn't open as far, but swings up nicely with heavy duty struts. This is a huge upgrade for my car, and looks really awesome ! I posted alot of pictures in the Modification Gallery for Lambo Doors.

· Vendor
3,789 Posts
The car looks great!

If you were local I would tell you to swing by our place and we could have put those doors on for you a bit quicker, but I think the drive would be a bit too far.

Regardless, glad you got it done and the car looks great!!!!

· Registered
1,140 Posts
I've always like the look of these. I'm curious how they operate though. Do they open out a bit, and then up? Is there a limiter on how far they can open out?

I've found that the door swing can be a limiting factor when trying to face-plant park between two parallel parked cars. I'm not sure if this would be helpful for such times. Do the doors have to open outward as much as before for a person to get out? Hard to tell from any photo's I've seen.

· Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've always like the look of these. I'm curious how they operate though. Do they open out a bit, and then up? Is there a limiter on how far they can open out?

I've found that the door swing can be a limiting factor when trying to face-plant park between two parallel parked cars. I'm not sure if this would be helpful for such times. Do the doors have to open outward as much as before for a person to get out? Hard to tell from any photo's I've seen.
The Doors open out normally, but not as far, short about 6 inches, then the strut helps lift the door up. If you are a big person it is tight.

· Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Vertical Door Hinge

Looks great!
Thanks for the pictures... looks like a nice set up.

What did you have to modify with the panels?
Both front fenders needed to be trimmed to accommodate the larger hinges and to allow the hinge to swing out. There is a limiter adjustment on the hinge so that it doesn't hit the fender and to allow maximum opening. If you think about it the Smart Car isn't like other cars when it comes to replacing fenders. The front fenders are about $ 125 each, so it can always be restored to factory, in minimal period of time and cost.

· Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update...Doors are hard to lift in cold weather. The gas in the lifting pistons must have shrunk in 10 degree weather. I need to get out of the car to lift the doors up, not cool. I called Vertical Doors for the possibility of stronger pistons but no answer yet.

· Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Vertical Doors is very easy to deal with, they are sending new stronger shocks to me. I should have them on Friday, they pay for ground shipment back and forth. They went from a 520 shock kit to a 580 shock kit, sounds like 60 more foot pounds of lifting pressure.

1/16/09....I received the higher pressured shocks today, it made a difference. I wouldn't say it's effortless, but it's not as much effort. I will be in contact with them again for another increase. It looks like with aftermarket speakers in the doors, the magic number is the 620 shock kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.