Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first test results. They seem to think I'm OK.

I guess it takes a baseline and then a followup for more meaningful results? Magnesiusm is really high compared to the Universal Averages. But, they didn't mention it and I sure don't know what it means.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I have a batch from my last fill that needs to go out to them :D

Thanks for starting this thread ..... "someone" was maintaining a list of the lab results, I "think" it was rfernatt after Tom Mack left :)

Anyway, this is a great place to put them.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a batch from my last fill that needs to go out to them :D

Thanks for starting this thread ..... "someone" was maintaining a list of the lab results, I "think" it was rfernatt after Tom Mack left :)

Anyway, this is a great place to put them.
I had my oil changed today. Interval was 7,099 miles this time (wow, low miles for me the past 12 months). And, I've sent another sample off for analysis.

I looked up rfernatt's thread. It's locked! Why?
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f183/fluid-analysis-lab-results-smart-vehicles-35530/
I would've placed this change's results there if it weren't locked.

Kinda pricey oil change, not doing it myself.
Oil ...................... $21.38 with tax (70% of 5 qt. bottle)
Filter .................... $9.55 with tax
Labor .................. $19.00
Disposal Fee .......... $2.00 (RIP)
Misc Shop Supplies . $1.47 (WTF?)
Tax on job ............ $1.47
Postage ............... $2.68
Analysis Fee ........ $25.00
---------------------------
Total ........... $82.55
Sounds like I went to the dealership, almost. But only $54.87 without the analysis.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
I had my oil changed today. Interval was 7,099 miles this time (wow, low miles for me the past 12 months). And, I've sent another sample off for analysis.

I looked up rfernatt's thread. It's locked! Why?
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f183/fluid-analysis-lab-results-smart-vehicles-35530/
I would've placed this change's results there if it weren't locked.

Kinda pricey oil change, not doing it myself.
Oil ...................... $21.38 with tax (70% of 5 qt. bottle)
Filter .................... $9.55 with tax
Labor .................. $19.00
Disposal Fee .......... $2.00 (RIP)
Misc Shop Supplies . $1.47 (WTF?)
Tax on job ............ $1.47
Postage ............... $2.68
Analysis Fee ........ $25.00
---------------------------
Total ........... $82.55
Sounds like I went to the dealership, almost. But only $54.87 without the analysis.
Hey guys, regarding that thread, it was locked to prevent a bunch of "my oil is better than your oil brand" bashing discussions or oil brand 'promoting' and only show results from fluid testing. :) When your results come back, just post them in a thread like this one and ask a mod to move them to the results thread. If folks would really like to have it unlocked, even if it picks up some excess baggage, it could certainly be done.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Black stone kind of reminds me of. When you have you pet cremated. Do you really get your real results back. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
probably impossible to tell either way. I always thought Blackstone testing was more for exotic components and too costly for a smart, but that's just me I guess

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It came out to less than 8¢ per day this time around (postage included). Good price for peace of mind. Results can give an early indication of otherwise undetectable problems developing.

Different strokes.

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
A great idea if that is what you need. Personally for me, I go with the factory service recommendations and that is fine for me. With 138,000 miles on my car, I have been satisfied with what I got.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Latest blackstone report

I finally got my results back. The copper level might be an issue, I don't know. Maybe some of you folks can give some insight there.

On my first analysis they suggested I might go 7,400 miles. On this analysis, they took me back down to 5K. :-/

Could the copper washer have contaminated the sample? Any other ideas?

I also notice titanium is way up, but they didn't mention that. (?)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Titanium is the new ZDDP it seems:

Slippery Customer: A Greener Antiwear Additive for Engine Oils

I'm still scratching my head about the copper issue, as like you mention, there's a copper washer right there to contaminate the sample. If it was there with an increase in another metal, (as most engine parts are alloys, I'd be concerned,) but by itself.... I wonder if Blackstone ever does some kind of comparison with fresh oil, ie. fresh Castrol 5W-30 in your case. For example if Castrol used copper as an additive? I know they have a "Titanium" version of Edge now. (Not fond of Castrol, something about a Mobil lawsuit that even though Mobil lost, bothered me...)

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting read, thanks.
... (Not fond of Castrol, something about a Mobil lawsuit that even though Mobil lost, bothered me...)
I Googled "mobil vs. castrol", and wouldn't you know the #1 hit in the results landed me on the AMSOIL site, LOL. Well, I read their clearly opinionated article (here). That was interesting too. To the point that I next found myself checking out AMSOIL prices ...

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I finally got my results back. The copper level might be an issue, I don't know. Maybe some of you folks can give some insight there.

On my first analysis they suggested I might go 7,400 miles. On this analysis, they took me back down to 5K. :-/

Could the copper washer have contaminated the sample? Any other ideas?

I also notice titanium is way up, but they didn't mention that. (?)

Not Coming from the washer...

Its in the oil your using...
https://castroledge.com/products/benefits

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not Coming from the washer...

Its in the oil your using...
https://castroledge.com/products/benefits
Thanks for the link. Maybe I overlooked something, but I didn't see a mention of copper there. Titanium, yes.

Funny thing is, I didn't realize they'd utilized a titanium compound in the oil. I thought it was just marketing, as everyone recognizes the name of the element as something strong and durable. Surprise, surprise (my best Jim Nabors voice).

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Castrol keeps changing the names of their oils, so much so it has kind of irritated me. I think what got me was that there was Castrol Syntec, then Edge came out, then Castrol Edge with Syntec and Castrol Edge with Titanium. That and the reminder of Mobil's complaint just didn't go well with my stomach. I'm glad they got rid of that it seems.

Upon research they were the main supplier of oil for BMW, which has now switched to Shell. (Not exactly sure why they'd change...)

One thing that they used to say, and they weren't the only ones to do this, was how their oil did better than any other oil at protecting, in laboratory tests, AND THEN having a little *, which you go on to read as a higher viscosity oil of theirs! Uh, if you're going to compare oils, do it on the same viscosity levels please! Isn't it obvious that a 5W-50 will out protect a 5W-30 for example!

Another thing that bothers me is that since I learned for training to be an Amsoil dealer, (looking for a source of income for myself,) was that a measure of the longevity/service life was the TBN number, or Total Base Number of an oil. It seems that the higher the TBN, the longer the oil change interval. So I would look at an oil's specs to see what their TBN number was, and some manufacturers do/did not provide it. Above 10 seems to be a good number for longer change intervals. (I just checked an MSDS of Castrol 5W-30 OE and no TBN number is there.)

On a note since you mention Amsoil, I did try it on ONE, and ONLY ONE, vehicle in the household, my parents' '04 Toyota Sienna. (My parents own/lease 8 various makes/models, my wife 1, and I have 2 hand me downs and 1 smart.) They seem to have diversified their product offering more now, so that I may be interested in trying other products. BMW's LL-01 specs seem to be one of the pickiest from what I researched a few years ago. It was very hard, and still seems so, to find a 5W-30 that fits LL-01 specs, the OE fill on many BMWs, to purchase here in the US. I gave that up a while ago, and in fact, even though BMW listed 4 or so oils on their Approved Oils list, including non 5W-30s, they have now removed every single one except for their own, maybe to please their new supplier Shell? Even Castrol's best 5W-30 in the aftermarket didn't claim to have LL-01 approval, and peeking at the OE version MSDS just a little bit ago still doesn't.

Shell seems to have developed a unique way of developing synthetics, starting with their "pure base" technology I think they call it. I'm going to be keeping an eye out on their products a little more...

But, since Mobil backs their oils with an engine warranty, as does Amsoil actually, I really like to stick with their products, no matter what claims of better protection this oil or that may have. (If they're able to back their oils with an oil related failure protection, well, that says something about the confidence they have in their product, and that's good enough for me. Whenever I hear about a smart owner needing a new engine/losing compression, I am almost tempted to ask if they would be able to go to Mobil with the issue...) Mobil 1 0W-40 has been factory fill on most, if not all, smart, Mercedes, AND Mercedes AMG models, to my understanding. (Not sure if they are changing suppliers like BMW has done though...)

I'm afraid I may have already posted most of this in another thread about 229.51 oil, so sorry if it's a repeat. I'll stop now....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts