Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has any 451 (2008 year) owner replaced Bleeder valve (or PCV valve) in their Smart? If so, is there any informative link on DYI?

Much appreciated for your help
\
Yup. Easy to do. From the oil dipstick run your hand towards the front until you are touching the black thingy (intake manifold). You are halfway through. To the left of center, poke your finger straight down. There it is, that little bugger... Pull it up and forward to keep from snapping the end off. Replacement is exactly the opposite without the hand rubbing of the engine.... unless you are into that sort of thing. Not judging. ??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris Canon, so you were able to change out the pcv valve without lowering the engine?
Did the pcv valve come out easily without any tool?
Do you have the part# and place(link) you bought pcv valve?

Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
11 Posts
Chris Canon, so you were able to change out the pcv valve without lowering the engine?
Did the pcv valve come out easily without any tool?
Do you have the part# and place(link) you bought pcv valve?

Thanks
Sean
I literally just bought a pcv valve from O'Reilly's Auto Parts for like $2.50. it popped right out and I plugged the new one into the hose, then pushed it down until it snapped in. I bought a universal on for a 1/4" hose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup. Easy to do. From the oil dipstick run your hand towards the front until you are touching the black thingy (intake manifold). You are halfway through. To the left of center, poke your finger straight down. There it is, that little bugger... Pull it up and forward to keep from snapping the end off. Replacement is exactly the opposite without the hand rubbing of the engine.... unless you are into that sort of thing. Not judging. ??
Hi Chris.
I followed your direction and I was able to see the pcv bleeder valve with the aid of a flashlight. But the opening in the manifold was too small for me to reach down far enough to get to it. Being a petit female my fingers are also too short to get down that far. I was wondering if you had to remove the manifold cover or any other component first to gain enough space, or if you used any tool like a long forceps or similar to be able to access the valve.

Also, I could see a tube and a clamp next to the valve. Do I need to remove the clamp and the tube as well to be able to replace the valve or it’s not necessary?

I’d appreciate any help and advice you can provide as I desperately need to get the car going. It is currently emitting a lot of white smoke and I was told this may be due to the pcv bleeder valve.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Hi Chris.
I followed your direction and I was able to see the pcv bleeder valve with the aid of a flashlight. But the opening in the manifold was too small for me to reach down far enough to get to it. Being a petit female my fingers are also too short to get down that far. I was wondering if you had to remove the manifold cover or any other component first to gain enough space, or if you used any tool like a long forceps or similar to be able to access the valve.

Also, I could see a tube and a clamp next to the valve. Do I need to remove the clamp and the tube as well to be able to replace the valve or it’s not necessary?

I’d appreciate any help and advice you can provide as I desperately need to get the car going. It is currently emitting a lot of white smoke and I was told this may be due to the pcv bleeder valve.

Many thanks in advance!
HBagh,
Chris has not been active on the site in 3 1/2 years.
You may want to try sending Chris a conversation or a PM, as they trigger a notification in their emai.
Good Luck
Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
HBagh,
Chris has not been active on the site in 3 1/2 years.
You may want to try sending Chris a conversation or a PM, as they trigger a notification in their emai.
Good Luck
Jim
Thank you Jim. Chris is not responding to emails either.
Does anyone else know whether I can access and replace the pcv bleeder valve without having to lower the engine? I’d really appreciate any help and suggestions from anyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts