Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sorry, It won't work in our smarts. I have one in my Tacoma. I wish I could get one that would fit. The bracket that holds the scangauge would have to mount directly to the mirror mount for it to fit between the mirror and roof. It would also require the mount hole to be drilled at a angle. I think that is the ideal spot for a scangauge in my smart.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Cheapest mount yet - velcro! Here is a picture of someone else's mount, but I have the same. I can remove the scangauge and with the extra cable I ordered, reset check engine lights and retrieve the codes on other vehicles for looking up on the internet. The placement lots of people like, but easier application. And I recommend the "super velcro" or heavy duty velcro. These have larger connectors and won't pull off very easy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cheapest mount yet - velcro! Here is a picture of someone else's mount, but I have the same. I can remove the scangauge and with the extra cable I ordered, reset check engine lights and retrieve the codes on other vehicles for looking up on the internet. The placement lots of people like, but easier application. And I recommend the "super velcro" or heavy duty velcro. These have larger connectors and won't pull off very easy.
What is your cable management like? Can you take a photo and show the back side of the mirror?

Yellow-Smart

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm torn between a custom look (e.g. Cubefix) and a removable mount. So many choices, so little time! Thanks all!

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
What kind of radio are you running... if you use a single din head unit then you can mount the SG under it in the second spot... still looks good but all you have to do is get a din cover and it's back to new.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Nscaler....this is an optimal location

But I just didn't like the wires hanging down. Removal of the interior windshield finishing covers was the second option (running the wires inside of them) but then you could not remove the unit to use somewhere else as one poster suggested. Well....you could remove the unit but you have to purchase another wire harness then so you can make the unit portable.....
Ah....such decisions! :eek:
One guy cut in his unit where the passenger air bag light is....that was THE BEST but putting it there is invasive, so to speak.
Yea, that supervelcro is TOUGH STUFF!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm using the velcro approach. The Scangauge cable is not long enough, so you have to add a standard 7' long CAT5 network cable and a coupler. (detailed with prices on other threads - the parts are cheap -- $5.07 delivered!)

The CAT5 cable runs from the Scangauge, behind the window trim and then under the dash where it connects with the coupler to the original Scangauge cable. Since only the CAT5 cable is permanently installed you can easily remove the Scangauge and its cable for use in another vehicle, either temporarily for troubleshooting, or as a second "installation".

·
Registered
968 Posts
But I just didn't like the wires hanging down. Removal of the interior windshield finishing covers was the second option (running the wires inside of them) but then you could not remove the unit to use somewhere else as one poster suggested. Well....you could remove the unit but you have to purchase another wire harness then so you can make the unit portable.....
Ah....such decisions! :eek:
One guy cut in his unit where the passenger air bag light is....that was THE BEST but putting it there is invasive, so to speak.
Yea, that supervelcro is TOUGH STUFF!
I drilled one hole the size of the Cat cable in the liner. Then I cut in from the side to get the cable in. When the liner is reinstalled, the cut blends in and only about 4" of cable show. If you can find the off white Cat Cable extension, it is almost the same color as the liner.
I posted pictures of my install on this forum with the liners removed, but a search did not turn it up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was thinking about mounting mine there. Does the velcro hold it in all weather (hot/cold)? Where did you get the super heavy duty stuff?

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can put a piece of velcro on the rearview mirror stalk -- that way it's supported top and bottom -- no movement, vibration, or wobble!

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
You can pick up the industrial strength velcro at most hardware stores. Mine is held down with the velcro it came with (mounted on dash above the heater controls) it doesn't move much when you use the buttons. I'd mount it on the rear view mirror but I took it off. It was in my line of sight. I'd like to mount it up where the passenger airbag light is but I don't want to hack into the plastic.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Mounting an SG over the rearview mirror wouldn't work well for me either~! I have a problem with the mirror blocking my right forward view and have developed the habit of looking over the mirror to make sure traffic is clear. The closest call I had before doing this was merging into a lane at a "Y" - right in front of another car~! :eek: Luckily he saw me in time to slow down and let me in front. I thought seriously about removing the mirror totally and am still looking for an alternate mount that would let it be positioned up higher.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Let me hyjack this for a moment

I hated my mirror placement also and replaced it with a double jointed 8" version from autozone. and adjusted it up as high as possible to get it out line of sight. Would prefer 6" as I still see too much seat back. Could use small round mirror but I like the night setting and they do not have this feature.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts