Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I got to try my 4 new Blizzak tires in the snow..... and the verdict is....

They do grip better at least the rear.
Frontend wants to go where it wants to.

Not feeling warm and fuzzy with these tires... even with them on you will have to worry about the build up of snow in the middle of the road and other snow obstacles that will scrub the bottom of the car or bounce off the frontend. Grooves want to pull you into them... in comparison to the factory street tires there is an advantage however, this ain't no snow buggy..

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I passed 4 or 5 vehicles on my way into work this morning. Travelled at the speed limit the other vehicles were doing about 20 mph under. The WS-60 work great for me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I passed 4 or 5 vehicles on my way into work this morning. Travelled at the speed limit the other vehicles were doing about 20 mph under. The WS-60 work great for me.

I think the type of snow in different regions has a lot to do with it. Driving skills as well.. which.. I would like to say, after living in the snow belt for years I am comfortable with.

Huronlad, what tire pressure do you run in them?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I am running 145's all around. 3 psi extra in the front, 2 psi extra in the rears at the moment for a little better FE. Running recommend pressures works just fine as well.

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
That's probably the key - the narrow tires cut through the snow a little better. I've got stock size Pirelli winter tires on right now and the front end tends to wash out first if you don't watch it. :)

·
17,351 Posts
I had the wider Blizzaks on my car at one point as well. I hold the same opinion as Bobcan and The Rigger.

Awesome snow tyres...but they're kinda sketchy at road handling...if Huronlad is having a pleasurable experience with theirs, perhaps tyre width makes a big difference indeed...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The front end biting in is more an issue of not having enough weight over the front wheels. If you let off the throttle too much going around corners you lose front end traction.

·
17,351 Posts
Sketchy in terms of dry roads (after the snow gets plowed and salt gets dropped)...

·
17,351 Posts
I almost take back what I said about the Blizzaks...almost...

Although this time I beached it...I've gotten stuck on the Kumhos more times than I can count. I've only gotten stuck just once on the Continentals...and I could've gotten un-stuck by turning off ESP.

So there I have it, I've had the worst of both types of tyres. Ones that suck on dry ground, and ones that suck on wet ground. :D

·
17,351 Posts
Nah, he forgot to shovel the driveway, so we both did it this morning.

The hardest part was removing all the snow that somehow got into the undercarriage. Literally had to dig out the engine and rear wheels!

·
17,351 Posts
He tried, but he couldn't. I had to enlist the help of a friend as well. I BURIED that car! :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've run the Blizzaks for a few years now. I can attest that they are like marshmallows compared to a nice summer tire, BUT... they can grip on the snow and to some extent on ice as well, MUCH better than my Pilot Exaltos that I run in the summer. So, yeah, I can't corner as hard, but I'm not driving that way during the winter anyway, since you never know when the next patch of Ice will surprise you... Love the Blizzaks. I recommend everyone to get them now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blizzard snow tires

I purshased a used smarty with these tires on it here in Texas.....don't know why the owner had these tires on this car....99.5% of the time it's hotter than hell here and.the mileage you get out of these tires are terrible, after 15,000 miles I had to change the front tires as they were worn out......we just had ice on our roads last week and I don't know about these in snow but in ice these tires suck. The back tires which are still blizzak would not hold the road. The back end keeps trying to swap places with the front end.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts