Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this may have been covered before but just wondering what some of you do when the temp drops way down since our smarts don't come with block heaters. Looking at either the stick on oil pan heaters or coolant in line ones or if there's other options that might work better? 451 related

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Godly thanks @jwight . Is any one better than another? Was sorta leaning on a pad heater from the start since only really easy place to tap in for coolant line is the front at the rad and that might loose to much heat by the time it reaches the block

·
Registered
249 Posts
Block heaters usually involve popping out a so-called freeze plug, but are actually just casting holes plugged with steel disks. They require finicky installation, and cant be on when the engine is started, dont ask how I know.

I'd say go with a pad heater on the crankcase if you can remove it for warm weather. Also be alert that sometimes the pad heater will just fall off from the heat of the engine. We used them on our Cummins diesel plow rigs and lost a couple from them just falling off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U I'm thinking that route.. just gotta figure out a place for the plug to hang where it's not going to get beat up

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I have always parked my smart outside, it has never failed to start, even in -30 degree days. We have had weeks when it did not get above -20 degrees and it still never had a problem starting right up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts