Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to leave work today and some parked right in front of me in my parking stall. Thanks to the great turning radius I was still able to escape! Couldn't believe it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Have to say, even WITH the Smart's insane turning radius, it's surprising you made it out of there with that concrete stopper behind the car, too.

This is exactly the reason why i never park all the way into a parking space.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
With a reserved parking spot, I would assume you would have some sort of recourse through your company to track down the owner of the vehicle and have him (or her) reprimanded, or at least post the picture in a conspicuous place to embarrass the heck out of them. But that could open yourself up to some sort of retaliation as your car is kind of easy to pick out of a crowd... Maybe a simple note on the windshield letting them know you did not appreciate their parking style, or call security and have them towed for illegal parking.

Parking lots are private land and the police won't do anything about it I'm afraid. AS others have said, park towards the back of the stall, don't pull all the way in.
I have seen numerous cars almost pull in and hit my smarts thinking the parking stall wasn't occupied only to find my smart pulled all the way in.
Glad you got out without any damage to your car. To heck with their car. obviously they don't care about it.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I'm glad you made it out. I would have pulled out then went and let the air out of all 4 tires. (5 if the spare is underneath.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 to this. I'd have made sure the schrader valves for all four tires would have found their way through that chain link fence in the background... Nondestructive, yet it would have prevented them from getting home without a repair bill...>:D

Like others have said, I always park at the back of any spot. My car is even with every other car in the row, so crap like this can't happen.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I purchased my smart in 2008, one of the few things I remember being told before leaving was to always park at the back of a parking space instead of pulling forward all of the way. The main point was that if you parked between two large SUV or vans, it could look like an empty parking space and put you at risk for being hit by a car pulling into the spot. The advice always caused problems for festivals where they had parking attendants directing people where to park. Their goal was to line up the fronts of all of the cars, when my goal is to line up with the back of the other cars.

Honestly, if I found myself in this situation, I would not worry if I bumped the other car in my attempt to get out of the parking space. It is really their ignorance that caused the problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I enjoy parking next to the wheel stop. My wife says I shouldn't. I am sure to leave enough room now so i can get out i it happens again. Its been the talk of the office. They know who did it, but won't tell me. We have about 300 employees in the office.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
844 Posts
I enjoy parking next to the wheel stop. My wife says I shouldn't. I am sure to leave enough room now so i can get out i it happens again. Its been the talk of the office. They know who did it, but won't tell me. We have about 300 employees in the office.
you can find the bastard in a day, i carry a 25" 1/2" breaker bar in my rear door for tire changes (i carry a jack and a spare), i would have "whacked" his/her 4 corners enough to get to a bit past their "deductible". look out for cameras in the garage! if there was a camera where the incident occurred, i'd threaten to sue the company for the person's ID.

i park at the "back end" of a spot, once in a while, some a-hole will drive 8-9 feet over the line of the adjacent spot to almost hit my bumper!

·
Registered
7 Posts
A flat tire would be my preferred pick for a revange, and maybe that Jack in the Box antenna ball will make a new toy for my dog.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts