Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used them lately ? Have they finally put an outside Smart sign on their building ? :D

I'm going to have to take our Smart in for service to get the antifreeze changed, (as I don't trust my other service sources to properly bleed that system).

While there I plan to have them do a 40k service + driver door re-adjusted, and new brake pads (due or not). Old has caught up with me and I can no longer do DIY stuff anymore.

I'm sure I'll be in for real MB stealer sticker shock on this one. I have $600 allocated :( ! Any guesses how much they will go over that number ? A2Jack.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I'm going to have to take our Smart in for service to get the antifreeze changed, (as I don't trust my other service sources to properly bleed that system).

While there I plan to have them do a 40k service + driver door re-adjusted, and new brake pads (due or not).
Bad start - don't go in and request the "40K Service" + brake pads and such. Manage them or they will manage you!

If the cabin filter/air filter and key fob batteries are due - save a few bucks by changing them in advance of your visit and advise them of same. Call the smart Center and ask them the cost of the "love your credit card" 40K Service package and replacing the front pads/turning the rotors.

Now review what is "recommended" at 40K versus what you believe to be prudent and list ONLY the items you want on your service list, it will likely save you money.

By all means, be sure to have a couple of those FREE sodas and snacks while you wait!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It may sound kinda dumb, but why are you "changing the antifreeze"? Is there something wrong with it? Did it drain out and you had to fill it with water in an emergency?

I ask because my 1983 300TD wagon with around 680K on it has never had its antifreeze changed, that I know of. When I replaced the hoses that were 13 years old, my shop drained the antifreeze into a pour bucket then dumped it back into the car, only replacing what was lost to top it off. I never found any that was "bad" that needed replacement, unless, of course, there was engine parts in it...(;

·
17,372 Posts
Larry, coolant is much like everything else on a car. IT WEARS OUT!

The anti-corrosion additives as well as some cooling additives won't last forever. And once they wear out the insides of your engine become susceptible to corrosion. And worst yet, the cooling properties might change.

Also, like oil, coolant gets dirty over time. A good flush keeps your cooling system free from dirt and debris.

Good for you that your 300TD has never had a coolant flush. I imagine the inner parts of its cooling system are all rusted to hell and the thing probably even runs hotter than it should.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I had my Cabrio's 60K done at M-B Bloomfield Hills earlier this week, $380 and change. In and out in two hours, everything hunky-dory, and they found some issues that the car has outside of the normal service items (freon leaking out of the a/c system, starter beginning to show wear, &c.).

I'm happy with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts