Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blower does not run, blower is good, no voltage to resistor pack. fuse good. Where is blower relay and how to get to blower dash switch?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The blower switch is part of the HVAC operating unit in the dash. It is wired directly to the blower resistor. Power for the HVAC operating unit comes from SAM 10A fuse #20 . Power for the blower motor comes from the SAM 25A fuse #4 .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the input,but the fuse is ok. How do i get to the blower switch without destroying the dash?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Thank you for the input,but the fuse is ok. How do i get to the blower switch without destroying the dash?
Thank you
I don't know what year car you have. In any case, I can only supply information when I have time available. I can not teach you how to repair your car in a forum post. If you are going to attempt to repair your own car I suggest you subscribe to the following:

ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information

Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia

·
Registered
5 Posts
I removed the fan and connected it to a 12v battery and it works fine.
I checked the switch and it has continuity on each of the 4 positions
I checked the #4 25a fuse and it is ok
I removed the fan resistor pack and it shows .001-002 ohms on each pin

anything else to look for??? - I have no blower on any switch fan speed setting.

You can remove the fan switch by removing the stereo face and then removing the 2 screws below the switch. there are 3 connectors on the back of the switch. 1 of them has standard pinch style cable holder. the other two have a lever style holder that swings. also be aware that when you remove the switch it will be attached to a 6" piece of flex cable. This is the cable that changes the vent settings ie. vent, heat, defrost.
This cable has to be put back on the pin that is located to the left of the switch and just a bit lower. You may have to remove the stereo to be able to see the connection location.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,184 Posts
A bad blower switch isn't a common problem, but definitely possible, after all, thats where the power comes from.
For Wes, a more common cause of an inoperative blower is poor contact of the motor brushes to the commutator. Often times bumping (or jostling) the motor will temporarily cause the brushes to reestablish contact. That could be why the motor ran after you removed it. You might consider reconnecting the motor and see if it works in the car after disturbing it.
There is a thread in the Technical Stickies regarding blower motor repair, i.e. http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f183/heater-blower-motor-repair-26967/

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
you could check for power at the connector that goes to the motor. As Jsenka said, it is usually the blower motor or the connector that plugs into the motor that acts up. I twisted the tabs on the motor end of the connector to get a better connection, worked for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just replaced the switch control module in the dash, still no blower (now at: new blower, new control module, and new blower resistor). I have been using the heater and A/C I am just turning them on and even without an active fan, inside heats me up in morning and the A/C cools me off in the the afternoon from the air that naturally pushes through the system. I just wish the blower would blow. I am thinking on taking it to an auto electric shop to have them directly power up the blower from the switch from the control module. It used to all work fine, just stopped one day. Ideas?!?!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
One caution about using AC without blower - the evaporator may freeze up because there isn’t enough air flow through it to keep its temp from getting too low.

You checked fuse?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fuse was the first thing I checked as it’s the easiest. I did some research and found the relay that runs the blower within the fuse box is also the relay for the windows and other components. Those all function properly. So that rules out the relay being bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
UPDATE to MY failed SOLUTION!

So the blower speed control lasted 2 days before burning out. Cheap, defective ... Both, IDK. Sent it back for a refund. So when I removed it I thought why am I even using this thing if I am powering the fan from the lighter power source. I tapped the power directly into the blower positive returned the original ground (blue) and WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!?!? It Powered up the blower, all 4 speed now work like when I first got it. -OMG

Ordered a fan switch and wired it directly to the fan, all is well and I actually have way more control of the blower speeds now. Went from having only 4 original settings to endless speeds.

Bought one of these, wired it directly to the fan, powered it from the splicing into the lighter power lines.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motor-Speed-Controller-Switch-12V-24V-fits-Car-Fan-Heater-Control-Defroster-Fast/153349699105?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=3e1a9afb41584750a009cb167ab0f79a&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=153349699105&itm=153349699105&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:5ede484b-8a60-11e9-a7ca-74dbd1808ffc|parentrq:3a1e99c116b0aa6695d1ca16fff2bf25|iid:1

Placed the dial in the space where the lighter used to be. Now I adjust the fan speed from the dial. All other settings function as they should. A/C blows nicely as does the heat.

I could have spent $100's trying to resolve the issue. Went with the 8 dollar fix.

I tried to attach pics, but the rocket science required keeps me from attached them. Please pm me and I can send pic there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts