Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Super weird, I’ll have to try it out.

have you looked at the wiring coming from the SAM unit to check there was no corrosion or deformation/melting of the plug? There’s also another plug that plays a part, it’s referenced in WIS, two spots actually, at the odb2 port and just below it on the center stack, close to the floor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I literally pulled the dash out and looked at every single connection. Everything looked like it was in order. It was so frustrating. I do believe now it was a software issue. Once it fully functional powering from the lighter, I was so done with it. It was such a simple fix. I did go to Mercedes of San Diego for the recall fix, they included a full inspection including software scan and found nothing! Its my daily commuter car. No issues at all since.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok, interesting. I’m going to do some quick tests, but I think I’m going to do the following:

But only powering the one leg that goes to the blower motor, and I get to reuse the existing 25a fuse. Running it off the 10a or 15a fuse for the cigarette lighter bothers me a little bit, this keeps it looking tidy. I hate ripping up wiring in cars, especially German ones.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree, I used wire taps made for 12 volt current. So the one wire that lead to the fan, I crimped an end cap on it to keep it from touching anything in case the car decided to re-power it. The route your going is way beyond my technical know how, update us so others can maybe use that route option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For sure, so luckily the blower circuit is the easiest thing i've seen, i've found that there's no continuity between fuse 4 and the fan itself. i'll have to pull down the SAM unit and check

F4 is the fuse #4 and there's no connection/continuity between it and the fan itself, its a bit confusing how its run, but it goes from the SAM, past the ODB2 connector, down the side of the center console/stack, there's a connector X85/10 that's attached behind the center panel, from there it goes up to the fan. i'm going to start checking continuity. id love to solve this for everybody :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, I pulled down the SAM unit and at first it seemed like there was no power going to n11/1 which is the red/grey wire going out towards the fan. Tested everything from the fan back to the Sam after trying to pull out the whole plug for n11/1 and still didn’t have any luck, stuck my probe into the back of the plug and boom I had 12v and continuity to the first hop.

plugged everything back in, no fan...

then like 30s in, I heard a relay click under the dash and boom the fans kicked in.

I think I had two issues? Maybe the reason the plug on the back of the Sam was so stuck in there was maybe the wire had melted? Or something? I still couldn’t get it out... bit me jiggling things around maybe helped. There are two relays that touch the HVAC, eventhough everything else was working fine.

I don’t know, whatever, I’m happy it’s working now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sweet, it worked out. Keep an update. I pulled and plugged and used my mutimeter gage. And it never switched back on for me. Still running tho. I only really need 3 more years before I retire. And with me teaching from home the rest of the year. I am sure it will last, hopefully! Glad to hear your back on comfortable driving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sweet, it worked out. Keep an update. I pulled and plugged and used my mutimeter gage. And it never switched back on for me. Still running tho. I only really need 3 more years before I retire. And with me teaching from home the rest of the year. I am sure it will last, hopefully! Glad to hear your back on comfortable driving.
Having the same issue with my fan blower not working.
-Replaced the fan blower, no luck for a while driving home on the 3 hour trip for the part then after a hour of driving the fan kicks on for about 2 weeks of being powered on and off. Now the new one is not working.
-(Old Fan)Replaced the fuse, the plastic part of fuse #4 was slightly melted but the fuse was ok. No luck
-Checked every other fuse, all ok
-Tried unpluging and plugging in fan, no luck
-Havent checked the relays yet. No clue where they are located for the AC fan
-Wiring all looks ok.
I'm thinking of just rerouting the power from the lighter but I got no electrical experence with wiring so mehhh. Some help?

US 451 2012 smart fortwo

21 - 28 of 28 Posts