Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Pure and I know it's not great in the wind, but it's getting a little spooky. I'm really getting blown around when going 70+ on the freeway. I can feel it really bad on windy days and when other cars are near me. I did get new Vredestein tires in November and they were great in the Minnesota winter, but I don't think it's the tires. Is there anything I can do to help this problem? I'm going in for an oil change shortly, what can I ask my mechanic to look at?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Lowering springs did the trick on mine. I went the the vogtland. Spacers might help as well
I have a 2013 Pure and I know it's not great in the wind, but it's getting a little spooky. I'm really getting blown around when going 70+ on the freeway. I can feel it really bad on windy days and when other cars are near me. I did get new Vredestein tires in November and they were great in the Minnesota winter, but I don't think it's the tires. Is there anything I can do to help this problem? I'm going in for an oil change shortly, what can I ask my mechanic to look at?

·
Registered
38 Posts
You've got a vehicle that is the size and weight of a large motorcycle, it's gonna blow around in the wind. Rode motorcycles for 40 years, it feels just like that in the wind. Just pay attention and correct when necessary, about all you can do.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I figured. It's sad that I don't trust my wife or 16 year old son with it out on the freeway though. Terrible drivers...

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
pay attention to the tire pressures and make sure the tire size width matches the rims. On real windy days, you might need to open the windows and let some air pass through

Also remember you are not taking up the whole lane with the car so some drifting side to side is ok as you are still in the lane. keep to the upwind side, and when cars are coming at you, stay a little farther away from the center line. Biggest thing is to relax!

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
11 year old issue. The smart can get scary on really windy days, here in the plains. I never forget, a Caravan of us smart cars, going to a smart car meet. Heading to Emporia Kansas. Driving down I-35. Really windy day. Looking in the review mirror. The little smart cars snaking back and forth, from the wind, on the highway.

Any small car, does the same thing. My Fiat 500, and our Honda Fit. The smart car, is the worst of the bunch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I try to relax and go with the flow. It reminds me of my UPS days. The small trucks were like driving with a sail on top.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The thin front tires are quite "squirmy" with side-loads (like wind). Years back I mounted Smart specific Carlsson wheels with 195/45-16's on the fronts and 225/35-17's on the rear. Smart rides like it's on rails by comparison. Passing trucks and winds are not at all disturbing like on stock wheels/tires. Ironically, the ride is much smoother with the much wider and lower profile Yokohama tires compared to the stock Continentals...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should have pulled the trigger and put rear rims on the front when I got new tires... I didn't really want the spend the extra money on rims, but I feel like I should have, now. Oh well, maybe next time. That's the only thing I don't like about this car. Otherwise I love it! Oh, and I don't have cruise control, that blows and I'm too cheap to have it put in.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
There’s a Brabus front spoiler available to the 2013 to 2015 models with the redesigned front lip. I wish I had the part number handy but that little thing does wonders for handling.

Mine came with 165 front and 195 rear tires.

·
17,384 Posts
You've got a vehicle that is the size and weight of a large motorcycle, it's gonna blow around in the wind. Rode motorcycles for 40 years, it feels just like that in the wind. Just pay attention and correct when necessary, about all you can do.
I don't know any motorcycle that weighs in at 1,800 lb, but you're on the mark. :)

Correct when necessary and don't panic. Wide front wheels and lowering springs alleviate the impact of wind, but it's a bit unavoidable that the 451s are a bit like a sail in crosswinds.

There was also a guy on here who discovered that using tape to smooth out the the ridge between the tridion cell A Pillars and the front windscreen helps dramatically.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't know any motorcycle that weighs in at 1,800 lb, but you're on the mark. :)

Correct when necessary and don't panic. Wide front wheels and lowering springs alleviate the impact of wind, but it's a bit unavoidable that the 451s are a bit like a sail in crosswinds.

There was also a guy on here who discovered that using tape to smooth out the the ridge between the tridion cell A Pillars and the front windscreen helps dramatically.

Harley TriGlides weigh in almost 1300 lbs. Kinds close.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Harley TriGlides weigh in almost 1300 lbs. Kinda close.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts