Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't know any motorcycle that weighs in at 1,800 lb, but you're on the mark. :)

Correct when necessary and don't panic. Wide front wheels and lowering springs alleviate the impact of wind, but it's a bit unavoidable that the 451s are a bit like a sail in crosswinds.

There was also a guy on here who discovered that using tape to smooth out the the ridge between the tridion cell A Pillars and the front windscreen helps dramatically.
I would be willing to try the tape thing. Can you find the thread that shows how he did this?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Getting back to the topic:

My solutions that have worked to cut problems on the highway at speed and with wind:

1. set of rear rims on the front
2. 185x55 Kumho Eksta on all 4 wheels, 28psi front - 32psi rear
3. Smart Madness lowering springs in rear
4. Area 451 cruise control

Bite the bullet, solutions always cost less in the long run.

-Barry-

·
Registered
276 Posts
Forgive me for the stupid question but how does cruise control affect your car in the wind?
Getting back to the topic:

My solutions that have worked to cut problems on the highway at speed and with wind:

1. set of rear rims on the front
2. 185x55 Kumho Eksta on all 4 wheels, 28psi front - 32psi rear
3. Smart Madness lowering springs in rear
4. Area 451 cruise control

Bite the bullet, solutions always cost less in the long run.

-Barry-

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used Smartmadness lowering springs, and that helped just as others have said. I also have slightly wider wheels that came with the "style" package or something like that... I would imagine that helps too.
I have the Smartmadness Cruise control as well...it also has an option to boost throttle response, I have it on the middle setting...made it slightly peppier.

·
Banned
214 Posts
Steady

I have a 2013 Pure and I know it's not great in the wind, but it's getting a little spooky. I'm really getting blown around when going 70+ on the freeway. I can feel it really bad on windy days and when other cars are near me. I did get new Vredestein tires in November and they were great in the Minnesota winter, but I don't think it's the tires. Is there anything I can do to help this problem? I'm going in for an oil change shortly, what can I ask my mechanic to look at?
One positive with my Smart ED electric, other than how much I love it, even though circumstances aren’t quite right, just now.

Wind or not, tractor trailers at 70 mph, as solid and steady as any car I’ve ever driven. I have a clean diving record but I could not stand it one night and got to 81 rapidly before the end of a short uphill highway.

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have the governor, being an early '18, no noise maker either. I believe it will go faster. Not a quiver whatsoever. No ticket. Thank you.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts