Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just finished putting Blue Ox base plate on my '08 Smart. Only thing on the front that has to be cut is the bottom grill which is a snap in piece. Can't hardly tell it's there. I have 4 more pictures but can't put them up due to forum kbs limit

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also just run the wires for the lights and breakaway switch thru the firewall main wire entrance and slip it under the rug all the way up the back. No problem. Install diodes on tail lites and your done. Bought a box of 50 -6amp dual diodes( Same ones Blue-Ox and Roadmaster sells for $14 a piece) for $12 on Ebay. Need some?

Just figured out if
want to upload pictures for you, I have to pay $15/year.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Also just run the wires for the lights and breakaway switch thru the firewall main wire entrance and slip it under the rug all the way up the back. No problem. Install diodes on tail lites and your done. Bought a box of 50 -6amp dual diodes( Same ones Blue-Ox and Roadmaster sells for $14 a piece) for $12 on Ebay. Need some?

Just figured out if
want to upload pictures for you, I have to pay $15/year.
err... well a back door to uploading pics is to add it to your garage, click on the thumbnail to show the larger pic, then right-click about an 1/8th inch above the bottom of the pic and select: Properties, copy the URL and add it here as an image:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Manch Vegas,
I installed the Roadmaster system and i am ready for road test after I purchase a receiver drop. Your postings have been very helpful and I too am concerned about the battery disconnect issue on Smart car towing. Could you please re-print or send me your itemized step list (you laminated) for preparing your Smart for towing including any steps regarding locking the car? Thanks, Garebare

·
Registered
787 Posts
This comes from the 2009 fortwo passion owners manual - with tweaks and emphasis added by me. I believe the towing instructions start on page 192 of version 2 (V2) of the online PDF manual.

I printed it on 1 piece of paper (both sides). Then I took it to Staples (or OfficeMax - I forget) and had them laminate using 10 mil laminate. I had them center the paper inside the laminate so that it had a consistent border on all 4 sides.

If you do the same, print 2 to 3 copies - just in case the clerk screws up laminating the 1st copy. Having backup copies will save you time and frustration.

linky

The only thing that I now do that I did not include in my PDF (it isn't in the owners manual either) is I pull the FOB off of the key as the last step on page 1 AND I insert the FOB onto the key as the first step on page 2. The plastic battery disconnect keys are a easy to obtain by car thieves - so to make the car more difficult to steal I don't leave the FOB in the car when I tow it.

One last thing: The owners manual assumes that one has connected the car to a tow bar prior to putting the car in tow-mode - otherwise releasing the park brake could result in a runaway car going backwards down a hill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
See Saw while towing

Just had the Roadmaster with the falcon 2 installed by Eyers in Santa Clara, CA. Nice job and seemed fair. All included just under 2,000. Including the battery switch cables and installation. NOW -- On our way home towing behind our 40' Damon Tuscany we had to make several turns in a suburb i.e. fairly tight. When we came out of the turn the smart car started to see saw back and forth violently behind me. Actually saw the steering wheel turning from one side to the other. I pulled over right away to check things. The first time it corrected itself the minute we stopped and went straight slowly for a min. The next time something tickled my brain about reading something about putting bungee cords on the steering wheel which I did. One to the drivers side door and the other to the passenger door. Makes it kinda hard to open but it seems to have solved the problem. Anyone else have this problem and what was your fix? Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
787 Posts
... Anyone else have this problem and what was your fix? Thanks
Steve
Go to an auto parts store and buy one black rubber bunjee cord that is 34 inches long (I believe that the one that I bought is 34 inches long).

If needed tell the store clerk that you need to test-fit the bunjee to lash down the steering wheel for towing and ask if you can take 2 or 3 cords of different lengths out to the car and test fit them. <- This is exactly what I did.

1. Center the steering wheel
2. Run the bunjee through the bottom-center of the steering wheel
3. Attach one end of the bunjee to the back of the cross bar that is under the driver seat
4. Hold the other end of the bunjee in one hand and take up the slack with the other hand as you repeat step 3.

The rubber bunjee may have to be lifted off of the steering wheel while stretching the other half of the bunjee so that it can be secured to the cross bar.

This will allow the steering wheel a little bit of left/right play but the grip of the rubber bunjee on it will return it to center. The bunjee has enough pressure on the steering wheel to keep it from slipping. I've towed at least a dozen times like this and the rubber has not transferred any black onto the driver seat.

This rubber bunjee is 34 inches - hook to hook

This next pic looks a liitle bit odd because of the angle that I took it. I did not feel like climbing into the car behind the driver seat to take it.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Here's what I do, already had pics so no trouble.

I think I use a 38" bungee with metal ends bend out a little. It has been a while since I bought a bungee for it. Might be 40"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bungee Fix

Thanks both of you. Your fix makes more sense than my door to door one. Funny that I did not read about this more often in this forum. Thanks again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. Similar to what I do but I don't like the way the tires scoot around tight corners. I tried adding 40 lb of weight to the front today and pulled without the bungee. Worked fine for a little over 100 miles. Then after pulling over to check a map and back on the road, the front end did the usual side to side thing. Put the bungee on and everything was ok.

I would really like to find a method where the front tires don't scoot around corners.

Des

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the process, last Saturday, of purchasing a 2009 Smart to tow behind my 36 ft Motorhome, I presently have a Blue OX that is used to tow a Jeep. I got a call from the Dealer this morning that he was talking to the Shop Foreman when he got in about a battery disconnect and the foreman said that Smart no longer recommends a Smart be towed 4 down. Has anyone had any problems with towing 4 down without a battery disconnect or having the car lock up because of the security system that will lock the car if the key is off and the car moves over 8 mph, or even transmission problems, this is what the shop foreman says why Smart does not recommend towing 4 down anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have towed my 2008 Smart from FLA to CALIF and back and from Fla to NY and back with no trouble. I secure the steering wheel with bungee chord to stop tire wobble and disconnect the battery. When I hook up battery, it takes about 2 minmutes before all systems come alive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Question I asked the person at the smartcar center of Abq if disconnecting the battery was needed he said no just bungee the steering wheel leave it in neutral and have the tow bar setup. Who leaves the battery connected?who disconnects it?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I had a battery disconnect switch installed. Why? Because the owners manual says to disconnect the battery when towing. Read the caveats of not disconnecting the battery that is found at the end of the towing section in the owners manual.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts