Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the same issue with mine (iPhone 6) - works for a while, then I have to re-connect. One of the guys here who drives a C-class says he has the same problem, so I'd say it's not just a smart issue. He says he turns off the radio, turns off the bluetooth on his phone, turns it back on, turns the radio back on, and it will connect. He thinks it has something to do with getting out of the car while connected. I'm going to try shutting off the radio before I get out of the car and see if that has any effect. #CherieinCary

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've had to repair only once so far (iPhone 6), but my issue is more basic -- sometimes sounds from phone calls and Waze (the two non-music applications that I used in the car) come through the car's speakers, and sometimes the sound comes only from the phone, even when connected (and by "connected" I mean connected by BT, by Connect App, or by cable -- I've tried all three). Same with speaking -- sometimes my voice is picked up by the car's mic, and sometimes it is only being picked up by the phone's mic (requiring me to yell, rather than talk).

Does anyone else experience this and/or has anyone else figured out why the speakers/mic only work sometimes?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Some phones connect automatically to the last connected Bluetooth device.

If you are only using the Bluetooth function with 1 device it should auto-connect every time. If you use several devices (smart watch, external speaker, computer, etc.) the Bluetooth can loose track of what was the last connected device.

I don't own a 453 and this is based on my experience. The smart radio can be definitely buggy.

I have had similar issues with Bluetooth headphones, re-pairing is needed every time.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have had very few issues with my Android Device (Lollipop) connecting to the Smart-Media System. The few times (2) I have had a connection issue, it was resolved by turning the Bluetooth on the phone off and turning the head-unit off, then turning the head-unit on, and turning on the Bluetooth on my phone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am in the UK - having the exact same problem, coupled with a crap call quality when calling Bluetooth to Bluetooth. Nearly had a crash the other day whilst trying to get it connected. Dealership do not seem to be able to get any sense out of Smart (unless they are covering for them). Car is going back into the dealership week after next (3rd or 4th time) for another review.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Would someone who is having this issue, and is using an iPhone running iOS 8 or later, please try pairing a different brand of phone to see if the issue might resolve? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm connecting with a Kyocera Brigadier phone and although after the first week it's been connecting every time I get a "cannot connect to bluetooth device" message and then, it connects. Something I can live with as long as it still connects.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I'm connecting with a Kyocera Brigadier phone and although after the first week it's been connecting every time I get a "cannot connect to bluetooth device" message and then, it connects. Something I can live with as long as it still connects.

Although a few have had pairing issues, The greater problem is outbound sound quality of phone calls. Not connectivity. How is this with your Kyocera phone?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Joining the chorus now ... phone wasn't recognized this morning. Did everything to try to get it to work -- rebooted all devices, deleted and tried to repair, etc. Tried another device and it was also not found by the car.

Between this and the fuel tank, I'm becoming less and less enchanted with my Smart every day. :-(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody else having trouble with their phone connecting to the head unit, or vice-versa? For me, it seems like it'll work just fine for a few days, and then all of a sudden it won't connect. just see the bluetooth symbol blinking on the head unit's display. It's visible in my phone's Bluetooth settings, and when i touch it, it says it's connecting, i see the Smart Media Connection or whatever it's called pop up in my notification tray, and then it goes away. I always end up having to delete it from the radio and my phone and go through the whole process again.
It happens to me constantly. Every few days. Agrevating! I have a Mart 2016 and Apple iPhone 6.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts