Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW has unveiled the third generation of its Mini car in Oxford.

The latest design of the car, which first took to the road in 1959, is quieter, longer, wider and taller than its predecessor.

Shown off earlier at BMW's plant at Cowley, where it will be made, the new Mini will start from £15,300 and is expected to be available in the UK in spring 2014.
BBC News - New 'wider and taller' Mini unveiled in Oxford

(Reuters) - BMW (BMWG.DE) unveiled a more fuel efficient, third-generation version of its iconic Mini on Monday, as the world's biggest luxury carmaker looks to retain its leadership in the lucrative high-end compact car market.

The launch of the three-door hatchback took place at the Mini's production plant in Cowley, Oxford, on the 107th anniversary of the birth of the Mini's founding father Alex Issigonis. Prices will start at about 13,500 pounds ($21,700).

"It's a brand new car under the skin and it retains that go-kart feel to drive," said BMW board member Peter Schwarzenbauer, who was driven on to stage to the music of British band Blur in a Mini adorned with the Union Jack flag.

Describing the new Mini as "original and still cheeky," he said it would appeal to "young people with their finger on the pulse" and older Mini fans. The previous Mini generation was launched in 2007.

Production of the new Mini will start later this week and it will go on sale in Britain early next year. It will be based on a brand new BMW-engineered platform called UKL1.
BMW launches fuel-efficient, 'still cheeky', new Mini | Reuters

:)

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I think the new MINI is larger now than the old Maxi! I have had rides in a Maxi, back in the old days (1970 in Britain).

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I checked, it's not quite longer, but it's only 20 cm shorter. Therefore the Clubman and Chubman (Countryman) 4x4 will be more maxi than mini.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts