Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a couple videos of Borla's prototype exhaust for the 451.
Dual rolled polished tips, great sound and performance. No dyno numbers at the moment. We might need another 451 for final fitment of production unit and dyno.

Let us know what you think

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I like that!!! Quiet, and you don't have to cut anything, or buy another rear panel. Doesn't sound like mad hornets.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ please

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nice, does it have a flexible connection to the mufflers like the stock ones or is it rigid like some of the other aftermarket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love how it dosen't seem to drone like my DTH center exit exhaust does. Hopefully you can post some dyno results and prices soon.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I like it! I don't like that it is completely below the rear valence but I understand some people don't want to cut their valence...

+1
Love the sound, but it is look odd sticking out like that. Reminds me bolt on fake dual exhaust on PT Cruiser. Rear valence on the Smart is easy to cut and very cheap. Even if you messed up (which is very unlikely), you can pick up one from e-bay ($40 shipped) or the dealer.

CUBE

·
Registered
81 Posts
Please do a center triple tip cut through the rear valance and put me on the list
Having a triple exhaust representing our unique 3 cylinder engine appeals to me; the double-double seems more of a "poser" look unless it's on a larger car. Since cutting the valance is so easy, I'd go this route since it has more of a factory look and not a Pep Boys add-on look.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yea BORLA really needs a center exhaust id be willing to buy the system then hack it apart and make a center exhaist out of it you guys are probably going to be dissapointed with sale numbers if you make it that style instead of a center or even a offset single or dual tiped or even tripple tiped for the smart lovers but even asking fellow michigan smart owners almost everyone i asked thoght center or offset tiped worked best the others simply didnt care since they didnt plan on changing their exhaust but the droped dual below the bumper just looks off, again just my opinion and im sure their are many who like this setup but i really think center is the way to go

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm in the market for an exhaust but will not buy anything that sticks out under the rear valance. It screams "Cheap!"

Verdict = FUGLY

I'm sorry for the strong reaction but I really, utterly despise exhausts that stick out from underneath the valance. It looks like an afterthought.

BTW, it looks like the exhaust tips are fairly close to the rear valance. I would be worried about the plastic melting when the exhaust tips heat up. However, if the tips hung much lower than it already is, it further pronounces the "cheap" look.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sound is great best I've heard, but I have to agree it looks to aftermarket under the valance. I want to put an exhaust on my smart evidently but it needs to go thru the valance like the Carlsson. If it went thru the valance my first choice would be Borla. Would prefer the split singles but the quads will work.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'd like 2 tips, either centered or off to one side. Quad tips are a bit much for me, as is the idea of 3 in the center.

The twin tips under the bumper is growing on me. Visually it lowers the center of gravity of the car. Plus it opens the market to people who won't cut the valence.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hey you guys i have an idea why not do a pole and ask the people what they would want center off to the side or below the bumper, and take it as market research, i for one who have bought borla on every car i own will not be buying this system if it just pops out below the bumper pluse its not a v8 far from it so the dual split is very odd disition, i think not only is a center tip more visually simple but them all the brabus owners and s-mann owners will also be able to buy your exhaust please look into a center exit style :):D sorry for the rant

·
Registered
48 Posts
id just like to add BORLA is known for being one of the best out their why have you guys chosen to go with the split below the bumper wich is very odd looking and looks just out of place for this vehicle do you plan on making more models and see witch ones work and sell best? just curiouse

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
Let's do a poll.
What style(s) would you like to vote on?
We're way ahead of you:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f75/borla-et-al-poll-17524/

Center dual tips through the valance is winning at the moment.

IMO, anything under the valance looks cheap. Quad exhausts on anything with less than 6 cylinders is just plain silly. What would you think if you saw a quad exhaust on a Honda Civic or Geo Metro?

A twin center exhaust would have the most general appeal and still be "custom" enough to be embraced by the average enthusiast.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts