Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

After getting my boy Sancho repaired from being rear ended about a week or so ago, tonight's snow storm caused another problem. I couldn't call out of work, I had to go in. I knew about removing a fuse to disable the ESP but I figured I wouldn't do that unless I did not move at all.

So, getting on the poorly plowed hilly ramp to the parkway I kinda got stuck.
I say kinda because Sancho was moving forward but, just inching his way up ...and sideways. The entire time the ESP triangle was flashing of course, and somewhere between that and getting pushed on the pkwy ( no lack of volunteers willing to push a smart car :D) both the ESP triangle and the ABS light stayed on. While driving, the car wouldn't do more then 42 or 43 in manual mode and in Automatic mode no more than 30. Some people on other threads called it "limp mode".

After searching the threads here ive found stuff for either light being constantly on but not both. I have some hope that this is minor since I didnt hit anything. I read in one of the threads that it could be debris on one part under the car which would make the most sense to me with all the snow.
So far ive tried shutting and restarting the engine. Ive done it twice and so far no luck. My next idea in the morning is to remove the fuse and try that and if all else fails unplug and replug the battery.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feeling relieved. So a coworker helped me unplug the battery with the needle nose pliers I keep in the car, I turn on the engine and ....the ESP and ABS lights stay on. I turn it off and then for the hell of it because it couldnt hurt I remove fuse 11, turn on the engine and....the lights stay on. Feeling defeated I shut it off and resolve to go back into the office and google some more.
I was having the horrible thought of having to spend hundreds of dollars at a smart center over something I was convinced must be simple. But then my coworker had the idea of taking it for a drive in the parking lot just to see what happens, since it couldn't hurt.

I turn on the engine, the ABS and Triangle stay on, the feeling of hoplesness comes over me, I put in in drive and as I turned the wheel I notice its VERY stiff which was disconcerting. I give it some gas turn the other way the wheel still stiff when I turn it, I turn it the other way an VOILA! The lights went OFF!!! I hit the gas and Sancho accelerated!!! the most I could go up to in that parking lot was 40 but it wasn't the sluggish 40 of last night, it was good old Sancho 40!!
And the steering wheel stiffness was gone as well. Woohoo!! :D And I made it back home from work on the expressway with no worries.

So to recap: I don't know if what did it was unplugging and replugging either the battery or the fuse though I'm inclined to think battery. But the key was to take it for a drive after doing so even though the lights stayed on. I hope this experience helps someone else in the future and of course, I will update this thread if I have any future issues with this. :)

Next on my list is to order the new set of tires ive been procrastinating about and join the "I can rotate my tires club". That might help a little better in a similar situation from what i had last night.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maybe that last drive broke it loose (all pure speculation.) :)

Now thinking about it, when I got to work and shut off the car and back on a couple of times, I didnt drive it then. I just saw the lights on and figured it was still messed up. For all I know I could have driven it then, and had it "fixed" without unplugging anything.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I would say one of your front wheels was plugged with snow and slipping on the icy road. Rubbing and turning a bit slower than the rest. turning the wheel in both directions cleared the wheel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts