Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these complaints common among these kind of cars? And are they fixed in later versions?

-The handle of it feels very hard and stiff with the brakes,steering wheel.
-I can open the door with the actual key but can't lock it. It can only be locked with the button press.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Hiya!! Welcome! :)

- First Question - I've heard that complaint before. You'll likely get used to it and forget about it. Yours probably doesn't have power steering. Is it hard to turn the steering wheel while stopped? The next generation ones do feel different, though I think you should drive it more before considering trading it in.

- Second Question - The keyhole on the door is designed to unlock the car in the event of a dead battery. It only unlocks as smart expects everyone to use the fob on the key for central locking.

Reactions: japy24

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Are these complaints common among these kind of cars? And are they fixed in later versions?

-The handle of it feels very hard and stiff with the brakes,steering wheel.
-I can open the door with the actual key but can't lock it. It can only be locked with the button press.
The 2015 may have had power steering, or may have had manual steering. Most pures had manual racks, there were only a couple years that even allowed power steering pures. I ordered them for a living and even I forgot which years they were. Perhaps ~'12-'14 (?). Those were the same years that allowed a few sneak orders of pure's with heated seats, fog lamps, alloy wheels (yellow editions only), pano roof's. Very very few pure's available with some bells.

Even with power steering, most smarts had a firm feel. There were a few power steering versions that were lighter than many others, but those are virtually impossible to determine prior to purchase or test driving the car (and knowing how all the variables matter during the actual driving experience).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 2015 may have had power steering, or may have had manual steering. Most pures had manual racks, there were only a couple years that even allowed power steering pures. I ordered them for a living and even I forgot which years they were. Perhaps ~'12-'14 (?). Those were the same years that allowed a few sneak orders of pure's with heated seats, fog lamps, alloy wheels (yellow editions only), pano roof's. Very very few pure's available with some bells.

Even with power steering, most smarts had a firm feel. There were a few power steering versions that were lighter than many others, but those are virtually impossible to determine prior to purchase or test driving the car (and knowing how all the variables matter during the actual driving experience).
My mistake on the steering wheel part. No stiffness there, just the brakes.
Also the car "brakes" a few times during acceleration to get to the next speed level. I'm guessing that is fixed in next generations too.

·
Super Moderator
29,021 Posts
Also the car "brakes" a few times during acceleration to get to the next speed level. I'm guessing that is fixed in next generations too.
The car has a manual transmission; what you feel is the slight pause as it changes gears. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts