Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we just bought a 13 smart today.

I have some questions that I hope someone can help me with.

When test driving it the steering seemed like stiff like standard steering although I know it is has power steering and the other smart we drove the power steering that was quite responsive. Anybody had this happen to them? What was the problem and fix. Or ideas why the steering would be stiff? Safe to drive?

Other question. Ticking noise coming form the dash that increases with speed and disappears when showing down to stop with brakes on. To me is sounds like a speedometer cable noise. Do smart's have a speedo cable? Or are there any other things that might cause this? Brakes?

thanks, John & Karin

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Most smarts do not have power assist steering, When you turn the key on, there will be a dash light that looks like a steering wheel that lights if you have the power assist steering. it only works at slower speeds.

There is no speedometer cable. it is run by the computer off the wheel sensors.

Welcome to the group!! enjoy the new car!!

·
Super Moderator
1,842 Posts
AFAIK power steering was standard on the electrics, but was an option on the ICE's. Send me your VIN and I'll look up your data card. That will show it as well as list your other options.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 9,000 miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2013 Smart

Thanks, jimvw57, oliverb and sokoloff.

Len is sent you vin by pm.

will be picking up from dealer this week and will investigate further. the ad show it as being a pure in heading and refers to trim as passion so not sure what it is. Most concern is if no speedo cable what would cause speed related ticking. I put on bill that ticking must be fixed prior to picking it up.

John

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,091 Posts
The ticking could possibly be a relay that is engaging and disengaging. That situation could be caused by possibly a problem with the power steering which is electric. At any rate they should be able to scan the car and figure out the problem by what error codes they get. DCO

·
Super Moderator
17,698 Posts
Power steering was never standard on the gas 451. The power steering does a self check when you first switch on the ignition. It's a steering wheel with an exclamation point next to it. If your car illuminates that light when you switch on the ignition you have power steering.

The steering is supposed to stiffen up at 45+ mph regardless if you have power steering or not. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, will check things out. I have the feeling I probably don't have power steering. will check it out when I pick it up this week. Waiting for the call that it is ready to go. So excited.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,813 Posts
Power steering was never standard on the gas 451. The power steering does a self check when you first switch on the ignition. It's a steering wheel with an exclamation point next to it. If your car illuminates that light when you switch on the ignition you have power steering.

The steering is supposed to stiffen up at 45+ mph regardless if you have power steering or not. :)
It was standard on the 2009 Brabus coupe and cabrio, but not on the 451 non-Brabus.

·
Super Moderator
17,698 Posts
True! I guess my baseline for "standard" is whether all smarts of a certain year had them. lol

Reactions: 1983JZR3W

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OliverB and Miss Mercedes got it right.

Thanks to Len Sokoloff for decoding my smart, it is in fact a Pure, but optioned well and no power steering. Picking it up tomorrow morning. Dealer said wasn't doing ticking noise when he took it for safely. He also said it hadn't been driven in 2 weeks prior to my short test drive. Hope it is a non issue.

I will read the manual that I saw in it. I am sure it will get me up to speed on most things.

Thanks again. John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts