Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my wife's Sonata with a Dart. Smaller but still a four door and so far so good. You would hope nothing goes wrong in the first days. Hope to put a few miles on it before we take it to Ohio for Christmas. Has the 2 liter engine and a conventional automatic and drives nice. The view out the front ends at the base of the windscreen giving it a similar view out the front as the smart, just wider. The smart will stay this is just the "big" car.

Would love to add an Elio to the fleet...

·
Registered
536 Posts
I had a dart as a rental when I got rear ended in my cabrio and honestly did not like it. the materials used seem inferior and the MPG's weren't that good. The one thing I did like were the rear taillights. congrats and Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We both have a red convertable. Mine is a Miata hers a 500C. We share the smart in most weather other than ice and snow a bike is my first choice. Igor the F350 pulls the the race car (SM) and plows snow and helps me haul in firewood. Yes I have a registration problem.

Our Dart does not have a Fiat power-train:The Chrysler World Gas Engines (WGE) and Tiger Shark with a Korean built 6 speed conventional automatic with "tap shift"

The Limited leather interior looks nice to me. Far more importantly, my wife likes it. Your results may vary.

·
17,350 Posts
I love how the car looks. A budget car that doesn't look boring! I especially love Dodge's "racetrack" lights.

The new facelifted Durango has refined racetrack lights that don't look pixelated, just smooth and bright. Can't wait to see the updated design hit the rest of the Dodge fleet. :)

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
There are many interior trim levels of the Dart. From hard plastic's to soft touch. They do have the neatest tail lamps of any of the newer cars on the road.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Congrats. Which Fiat engine?
The agreement between Chrysler & Fiat is that Chrysler handles all engines 2.0L and larger. Fiat is responsible for anything below 2.0L. The only Fiat engine currently being used in a Chrysler is the 1.4L turbo. The new 2.4 "Tigershark" engine does use Fiat's Multi-air technology for cam timing.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I will suggest you to get extended warranty on your car, it will protect your investment that you have made for any high end product such as a vehicle or electronics which may demand repair and replacement of parts in the long run.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Multi Air stuff from Fiat alters valve lift and timing rather than just advance and retard the cam. I have not followed the dart yet so can't really say how cool the "racetrack" lights look.

Drove the smart to a little sisters house to borrow her boyfriends van to pick up some sheet goods in the snow. The temps here are in the teens the smart did well till the heavy salt areas where the stability control did a good job of catching the tail. I still love the smart. What it does best is put a smile on my face.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a little over 22hours in a car over two days tends to give you an idea of what you like, or not. Even got some right seat time as my daughter took us to Wurst and Beer for lunch and then to one of the sea of Malls near where she lives. She drives an Acura MDX and found the Dart both plush and livable. She also liked all the toys. Sitting in the passenger seat I found it had height adjustment along with fore and aft and full recline, manual on the right side vs power on the left and no power lumbar support.
The engine is not as refined feeling as the little lump in the 500 but runs just fine and can pull the car loaded up past the speed limit without any (to me anyway) untoward delays. The suspension is firm but compliant. don't find myself dodging manhole covers with it. You hear more than feel a thump on larger "square" bumps.

Drove for a week with the trip to and back from Ohio on less than 200 bucks worth of fuel. Dodge Dart MPG Reports | Fuelly We are both very happy with it so far.

Fiat is in the garage all shiny, the Dart is out front and needs a bath. The smart is in the Church parking lot where it took my wife this morning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts