Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some of these keys for my 451.

Took to a local locksmith for cutting/programming to the car (I think the SAM can remember up to 6 keys) and they're working perfect!

My only complaint is the biggest button is also the one I almost never use (trunk unlock)
The feel really solid as well, more than some of my other car fobs

·
Super Moderator
17,656 Posts
That would be really cool if someone had made some way to retrofit the internals of the OG key into a flip key case. Either way, that's awesome!

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,090 Posts
I have been longing for the same thing. Our key is just too big to fit in a pocket comfortably. And I almost always push the red panic button trying to get it out of my pocket! That's guaranteed to get you noticed. DCO

·
Registered
71 Posts
Could I ask how much the locksmith charged to cut and program? I had to go to the dealer to get an extra key made and it wasn't cheap.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Bought some of these keys for my 451.

Took to a local locksmith for cutting/programming to the car (I think the SAM can remember up to 6 keys) and they're working perfect!

My only complaint is the biggest button is also the one I almost never use (trunk unlock)
The feel really solid as well, more than some of my other car fobs
It took 45 days to get it? Wow.

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Let me understand. Programming the key doesn't require a visit to MB?
How likely that any ol' locksmith can do this?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me understand. Programming the key doesn't require a visit to MB?
How likely that any ol' locksmith can do this?
Find one that does mercedes keys, you don't have to visit the dealer but apparently they have to connect to the mercedes computer or something silly like that

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah I bought a $30 key on eBay took it to a locksmith that did Mercedes and they charged me $60 to cut it and $60 to program it. Needed a second key and a lot cheaper then having no key and having to replace the SAM

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
Yeah I bought a $30 key on eBay took it to a locksmith that did Mercedes and they charged me $60 to cut it and $60 to program it. Needed a second key and a lot cheaper then having no key and having to replace the SAM
Yes, especially if the nearest dealer is 300 miles away.
Moanday I'll have to call around and see if there's a locksmith open in this disaster area. Probably no more than 25% of businesses have reopened so far.
Sounds like a great option which I'll follow up on when possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts