Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
The only Mini in those photos is the one on the far right. The rest are MINIs. :wink:

Great comparison, and the reason so many folks are hanging on to the classic Mini. Hopefully we can do a similar shot next year with the 450/451/453.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Why do automakers do this? They start out with a small vehicle and make them bigger. I LIKE small cars, NOT bigger cars (or trucks).Over the years I've had small vehicles that by the time I'm ready for another they've grown so large that I'll look for something else. VW's, Subaru's, Datsun cars and trucks (I know I'm dating myself), Toyota's, they all seem to do it. Why not KEEP 1 model small and just come out with another model if they have to have another bigger one? Or at least bring some of the small cars they sell everywhere else in the world to this country, if they really are serious about saving fuel it would make sense to me. Chumly

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Why do automakers do this? They start out with a small vehicle and make them bigger. I LIKE small cars, NOT bigger cars (or trucks).Over the years I've had small vehicles that by the time I'm ready for another they've grown so large that I'll look for something else. VW's, Subaru's, Datsun cars and trucks (I know I'm dating myself), Toyota's, they all seem to do it. Why not KEEP 1 model small and just come out with another model if they have to have another bigger one? Or at least bring some of the small cars they sell everywhere else in the world to this country, if they really are serious about saving fuel it would make sense to me. Chumly
Amen -- I'll never understand this!

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The smart's getting bigger too. The 450 was really tiny. It nose didn't stick out when you back into parallel park. The next generation smart suppose to be bigger yet.

·
17,349 Posts
The 453 is only supposed to get wider, not longer (thankfully)...About as wide as the iQ...I'm okay with that, more shoulder room. :)

·
17,349 Posts
I drove an iQ yesterday. The powertrain may be a little more refined, the suspension a little softer, and you can indeed get one passenger in the back in a pinch, but you'll be kidding yourself if you say it's much faster. And you'll be lying if you dare to call it a real four seat car.

I couldn't even get the thing to spin the wheels on a salt covered road...something my smart does too easily. :D

And the Scion rep even admitted himself that the rear end is a huge safety liability despite that cool rear window airbag. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts