Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Ah yes, AMG and BRABUS do so many cool things for MB products. I love changing the exhaust notes on the MB AMG models. Now it's trickling down to smarts under the BRABUS line, unfortunately non-US market.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... they didn't want to let the one oddity of the ForTwo down. it's got a lot of 3's. 453 for the model, 3 interior lights, 3 clocks, 3 cupholders, 3 separate light housings up front, 3 cylinder engine... why not 3 exhaust outlets?
Well said .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh how I can wish !! Nice dream . https://youtu.be/W7iGrpU-veE
I have been trying to get it ever since I got my car.. Here are some interesting finds:

1. Those three tips are fake, like the regular EU Brabus twin tips, and the actual exhaust is underneath the muffler

2. It sounds really good, but that sound requires Brabus ecu tuning to achieve, if we just simply swap it onto our U.S. Brabus, it will sound different, or boring if you will

3. I have talked to Brabus USA, Brabus headquarter in Germany, SmartMadness, Smart Center of West Covina and also a few EU tuning shops that I know of and tried to obtain one for me, and they said this exhaust requires a Brabus ultimate 125 VIN to order, regular EU Brabus cannot do the trick.

4. Price wise, they were saying to be expecting somewhere 3k if they were able to get one on hand.

So I gave up on it eventually, I talked to a well known local custom exhaust shop, they told me a custom made exhaust will cost around 1500 for our Smart, so I figured if I really want it, I can just let them custom made one for me with actual real exhaust tips at rear.. not underneath the muffler.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like I'm fortunate to have a real rear exiting exhaust on my Smart , thank you Lorinser for not throwing fake tips on my rear.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Official Brabus said they didn't make the real exhaust tips at rear because of air turbulence at the rear of Smart ForTwo. However, they made the real exhaust tips for Brabus Smart ForFour, which I don't quite understand. Any one who's master of physics can give me an explanation on this?

I know some people buy the Brabus exhaust for Smart ForFour and modified it alittle bit to fit onto Smart ForTwo in other countries.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can attest to the dead space on the four two and lack of air to kick out the exhaust fumes .. I know with my Cabrio, when the top is down and you tromp on the go pedal , you can get wrap around fumes coming in from the back , but the wind needs to be just right . And at highway speeds most of the time it's clean air. Since the for four is a hard top , guess it's a non issue .

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can attest to the dead space on the four two and lack of air to kick out the exhaust fumes .. I know with my Cabrio, when the top is down and you tromp on the go pedal , you can get wrap around fumes coming in from the back , but the wind needs to be just right . And at highway speeds most of the time it's clean air. Since the for four is a hard top , guess it's a non issue .
That is very interesting to learn. Thanks! But what about the hard top version of ForTwo then? Hard top doesn't need to worry about the fumes coming from the back though.

I am debating whether I should get a custom made exhaust on the Smart or just simply go with Raggazon at this point

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Official Brabus said they didn't make the real exhaust tips at rear because of air turbulence at the rear of Smart ForTwo. However, they made the real exhaust tips for Brabus Smart ForFour, which I don't quite understand. Any one who's master of physics can give me an explanation on this?

I know some people buy the Brabus exhaust for Smart ForFour and modified it alittle bit to fit onto Smart ForTwo in other countries.
We would need access to wind tunnel testing to really prove or disprove what you were told. In my younger pimple-faced-skinny-frame-no-matter-what-I-ate days, long before my car business days, I donated a sport compact car to a sports parts/body kit manufacturer to mold a bodykit for the car that I still see sold around the world.

I installed it, the kit looked really really cool. Definitely a show piece. But it completely shattered and destroyed the driving characteristics at high speeds (75+ mph). I hated that kit, the factory look may have been conservatively boring by comparison, but the car had much better handling, fuel economy, and overall speed with the factory kit. A similar misstep on a smart car will likely lead to disappointing performance results, potentially disastrous performance results considering the engine's small displacement will not overcompensate for flawed design aspects of the chassis or exterior structure.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
The BRABUS exhaust on the 450 cdi definitely lets some fumes into the seating area when the top is down, at low speeds. Still, fake tips? Awful! LOL

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Well... they didn't want to let the one oddity of the ForTwo down. it's got a lot of 3's. 453 for the model, 3 interior lights, 3 clocks, 3 cupholders, 3 separate light housings up front, 3 cylinder engine... why not 3 exhaust outlets?

451, had 3 lug nuts, Per wheel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So this was about a 1 out of 10 in terms of time required and difficulty. The kit I ordered from eBay did come with a bunch of tools (I only needed one) which is neat because I can use them for other stuff.

I keep my courtesy lights switched to off so nobody at night can see me open my door and mug me, but should I need to use them or the map lights they are super bright. The "trunk" light is much brighter but because of the sub woofer it doesn't really illuminate too much.

The vendor is in Germany:

Premium LED SMD Interior Light for Smart Fortwo Coupe C453 | eBay

I feel like it is a good deal because of the tools you get and everything is labelled and fits. If you have fat fingers getting the courtesy bulbs out might be an issue.

This "conversion" took me less than 10 minutes.
Thank you for sharing! I see another link for convertible, is there any difference between coupe and convertible led light bulb?

Premium LED SMD Interior Light for Smart Fortwo Cabrio A453 | eBay

Also in the description, it said three led light bulbs, so for the one in the trunk, do you have to buy it separately or it comes with the kit?

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
So this was about a 1 out of 10 in terms of time required and difficulty. The kit I ordered from eBay did come with a bunch of tools (I only needed one) which is neat because I can use them for other stuff.

I keep my courtesy lights switched to off so nobody at night can see me open my door and mug me, but should I need to use them or the map lights they are super bright. The "trunk" light is much brighter but because of the sub woofer it doesn't really illuminate too much.

The vendor is in Germany:

Premium LED SMD Interior Light for Smart Fortwo Coupe C453 | eBay

I feel like it is a good deal because of the tools you get and everything is labelled and fits. If you have fat fingers getting the courtesy bulbs out might be an issue.

This "conversion" took me less than 10 minutes.
Seems out of place, Mods can this be its own awesome post?

Either way, I love it!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok folks , I don't mind the posts but the original intent of the thread was to highlight the 125 , not hijack ... please start a new thread when you want to post up some cool ideas or farkles . That way , people don't miss this great new stuff . Thanks .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts