Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the new Brabus rear valance I've been seeing on new UK Smarts. It seems to be a 2-piece panel with the painted panel looking like standard USA Pure / Passion Smarts, but changing out the 2-piece fake diffuser to a single-piece diffuser with a center cutout.

It is most primarily featured as the standard rear valance on the Brabus Xclusive Red Edition, shown on page 13 of the PDF.

I was wondering if this is the same painted panel with a different diffuser? Can one walk in to a Smart Center, buy a painted rear valance from any Passion and fit this UK diffuser in place of the 2 silver and black trim pieces on USA cars?

UK rear valance on the Brabus Xclusive Red Edition. 2 pieces: painted panel, black diffuser.

USA rear valance on a Smart Passion. 3 pieces: painted panel, silver trim, black trim.

·
17,345 Posts
As far as I'm aware, both panels are single piece. I saw one of the 2013 passion valences on eBay and the backside shows one single molded piece.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I'm aware, both panels are single piece. I saw one of the 2013 passion valences on eBay and the backside shows one single molded piece.
Nope, those are all separate pieces that clip in to one another. Evilution had more detail, but I haven't paid for my subscription yet.

I'm just very curious to know if that good looking European diffuser can go in the same place using the same clips on our panels. Maybe, just maybe, a Brabus center exhaust is in my future.

Companies want to make as few parts as possible. Highly evident over at Government Motors where many models of the same car share many, many parts. I'm willing to bet this rear painted panel was a European exclusive part, and when the facelift came along in USA, that painted panel was reused here (without that diffuser) utilizing that silver trim piece to use the painted panel's clips to adapt that black plastic trim piece to our cars. Just a hunch, though!

·
17,345 Posts
Good eye! Poor quality eBay photos have deceived me!!!

I'd like to know as well. My car took some damage in a parking lot while I was shopping. I need a new lower valence but don't feel like cutting the exhaust hole again.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good eye! Poor quality eBay photos have deceived me!!!

I'd like to know as well. My car took some damage in a parking lot while I was shopping. I need a new lower valence but don't feel like cutting the exhaust hole again.
Yours is that Active Blue, correct? There's all 3 pieces together on eBay for $170.

Maybe, possibly, if this works, I might be looking at this rear valance over the Pulse one, which is just this part in the one-piece design you were referring to. Same lines and everything.

·
17,345 Posts
Ah yes, I've seen that panel. I'm avoiding buying panels from eBay because they're often waaaaaay overpriced. :D
Last I checked, my dealer can get me that same panel new for less than $170.

It also appears to me that the USA also gets that Brabus rear apron diffuser. I remember seeing a brand new Brabus at the St. Charles smart centre with that new apron.

I'd bet both panels have the same clips, it would make sense. :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah yes, I've seen that panel. I'm avoiding buying panels from eBay because they're often waaaaaay overpriced. :D
Last I checked, my dealer can get me that same panel new for less than $170.

It also appears to me that the USA also gets that Brabus rear apron diffuser. I remember seeing a brand new Brabus at the St. Charles smart centre with that new apron.

I'd bet both panels have the same clips, it would make sense. :)
True - most places I go (and this is rare to say) the dealer beats alternative pricing anytime; unless that dealer is on ebay for the sole purpose of shipping parts across the country.

Hmm... Would you or anyone here have leads to a part number for that diffuser? Never knew it made its way over here!

·
17,345 Posts
The SmartUSA site says to call your dealer for details on the kit. I'm not pulling anything up in search engines. :(

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I know you had a bad experience....but that rear valance comes standard on the Brabus sold in Mexico, you could contact the dealer and see if instead of a refund is easier to get that part for you.......

·
17,345 Posts
Ah, I haven't even made an effort to replace that panel yet. It's been in the condition it's in since October of 2013. Mostly because the bumper panel directly above it is damaged too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts