Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new and excited Silver Brabus Smart owner. I plan to keep my Brabus relatively, stock, considering its a limited edition vehicle. Nevertheless, I am curious about the Smart Madness Sport Springs. I have read that the SM Sport Springs are a huge upgrade. But that is comparing them to stock springs, not Brabus Springs. The springs lower the back of the car by an inch or so, and i think this improves the look, and would be considered an upgrade. I am looking to here back from any Brabus owners that have made this swap.
Did the SM Sport Springs improve the handling? What about comfort, are these springs softer? And is there any bottoming out concerns?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Passion with Smart Madness springs

I recently installed the Smart Madness springs in a standard Passion. I can say the ride is harder than the stock springs. It is more stable on the straight away and in cornering. Have not had any issues and am about to add 17's all around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have a new 09 Brabus. Got it off E-bay fram a dealer in NJ. Had to drive up from Va., but worth it. I'm not too keen on the low profile rear tires, maybe gives a hard ride.
I've just over 1200 mi on it and want to change oil and filter. The manual doesn't help much for anything. It's not like the old Mercedes ones from the 50's. They claim I got the last Brabus in the US (09) that is. We have a local club group and I've the only Brabus. Hope that doesn't present a problem. I ordered a pop top that covers the entire top and windows, hope it's good for the hot sun. I assume you are in Venice Fla.
Keep me posted on what we should be doing to keep them running well.
Regards
Frank (Jay Bird)

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
I am a new and excited Silver Brabus Smart owner. I plan to keep my Brabus relatively, stock, considering its a limited edition vehicle. Nevertheless, I am curious about the Smart Madness Sport Springs. I have read that the SM Sport Springs are a huge upgrade. But that is comparing them to stock springs, not Brabus Springs. The springs lower the back of the car by an inch or so, and i think this improves the look, and would be considered an upgrade. I am looking to here back from any Brabus owners that have made this swap.
Did the SM Sport Springs improve the handling? What about comfort, are these springs softer? And is there any bottoming out concerns?
Slash... I have a Passion but I have the brabus shocks as well as HR lowering springs and 17 inch wheels... the HR are comperable to the SM springs for this discussion... though I've heard very good things about them. The ride is a bit harder but the cornering and stability at speed outweigh it.

If you're in Venice, FL and would like to meetup to drive my car let me know... I'm just north of you in southern Hillsborough county...

I recently installed the Smart Madness springs in a standard Passion. I can say the ride is harder than the stock springs. It is more stable on the straight away and in cornering. Have not had any issues and am about to add 17's all around.
The 17's look great with the springs... you'll love it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Venice, CA

Thank you for the input and the offer to test your ride. I love this about the smart community. But I live in Venice, CA. Recently, I installed the Brabus driving lights. I now have six lights total including my fogs. They look sick, and really give the vehicle a high end race look. Next up, black Brabus head lights. I highly recommend the Brabus dual driving lights and fog lights, a great factory modification!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Slash... I have a Passion but I have the brabus shocks as well as HR lowering springs and 17 inch wheels... the HR are comperable to the SM springs for this discussion... though I've heard very good things about them. The ride is a bit harder but the cornering and stability at speed outweigh it.

If you're in Venice, FL and would like to meetup to drive my car let me know... I'm just north of you in southern Hillsborough county...

The 17's look great with the springs... you'll love it.

Wdhitch... I want to run the Brabus shocks/struts in my 09 Pure along with a Smart Madness spring kit. I have a stock Brabus and love the handling. I like the fact that The SM kit gets rid of the "Rake" look of the stock setup... Where did you your Brabus Bilsteins??

Any Brabus owners want to sell their takeoffs???

Jim :)

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Hard ride.

I too have a new 09 Brabus. Got it off E-bay fram a dealer in NJ. Had to drive up from Va., but worth it. I'm not too keen on the low profile rear tires, maybe gives a hard ride.
I've just over 1200 mi on it and want to change oil and filter. The manual doesn't help much for anything. It's not like the old Mercedes ones from the 50's. They claim I got the last Brabus in the US (09) that is. We have a local club group and I've the only Brabus. Hope that doesn't present a problem. I ordered a pop top that covers the entire top and windows, hope it's good for the hot sun. I assume you are in Venice Fla.
Keep me posted on what we should be doing to keep them running well.
Regards
Frank (Jay Bird)
Hi, Frank
My Brabus exhibited a very hard ride on the way home from the dealer. I suspected the low profile tires, too. I did find later when I checked the tire pressure that there was over 40 psi in those tires. I guess for shipping from France.
I suspect the wide rear tires help a lot with stability when passing large trucks. I find the Brabus to be affected less than my Sedan Deville.
It does corner like a worm on sandpaper and is a blast to drive.
I have found that I am prone to under estimate the width and tracking of the rear wheels and have crunched both sides early on.:eek: I hate that!
It's wider than you think but shorter, too.

Enjoy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SM springs brabus shocks

Hello black brabus,

I would like to compare the handling of the SM springs on the Brabus to stock Brabus. I would think the SM springs would give the more enjoyable ride and look. -slash

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Wdhitch... I want to run the Brabus shocks/struts in my 09 Pure along with a Smart Madness spring kit. I have a stock Brabus and love the handling. I like the fact that The SM kit gets rid of the "Rake" look of the stock setup... Where did you your Brabus Bilsteins??

Jim,

I had a Brabus owner order then from one of the dealerships... they wouldn't take the order without a Brabus VIN number. They weren't cheap... but I was able to get a discount thanks to another friend.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,669 Posts
Jim,

I had a Brabus owner order then from one of the dealerships... they wouldn't take the order without a Brabus VIN number. They weren't cheap... but I was able to get a discount thanks to another friend.
I don't understand, There is nothing in the VIN to indicate a Brabus from a normal Passion or Pure. On the Corvette Z06, the eighth digit is an "S" to differentiate it from a regular model Corvette.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
When they look it up in the system it's noted that the car is a Brabus version.... I'm just relaying what I was told... there's a chance it could have not been true... I was told you couldn't get the Brabus suspension from the dealer if they couldn't match it to a Brabus car.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Can't comment on the SM springs, but can definitely recommend the H&Rs.

H&R + Brabus dampers = very well matched combo for handling.

So good that I tried the newly released Bilstein 451 coilovers but swapped them back out for the Brabus/H&R combo.

·
aka 'MarkMadness'
31 Posts

Jim,

You have a PM!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Brabus 09

I've not had mine a month and like it very much. How many miles do you have on yours and how often do you change oil? What make filters do you use? I can find Wix and Fram thus far. Anything you can add aoubt your car will greatly appreciated.
Frank Shaffer
Williamsburg, VA

·
Registered
24 Posts
Finally installed the Brabus shocks/struts + H&R, ride quality with the factory 15's was lousy at best, especially since the road conditions here in OK are akin to Nairobi in parts. Front install was the most taxing thing i have ever taken on (sigh).

However, got some Darwin 15/17's on it with Toyo P4's (205/50-15 & 215/40-17), HUUGE difference, i'd compare the ride quality to the stock passion suspension / 15" setup that came with the car. Love it.

NOTE: With the slightly larger tire sidewalls (lack of tire choices in an all-season tire), this thing looks slammed, i'm getting used to the look and no rubbing thus far, glad all the research worked out. Thank you SCoA & Randy Zimmer =)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts