Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new member. Computer illiterate. Can not decide too go with passion or brabus due to potential for wheel damage on brabus. Does not seem to be a reasonable wheel tire set up for brabus that would cut down on wheel tire damage but also meet specs both for handling and weight that would not void the warranty. Any solutions?

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :)

If you want the full Brabus package you are stuck with the 15/17 inch setup. One possible option (if buying new) is to get your dealer to swap those wheels/tires for the 15 in Brabus wheels on all four corners.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Can not decide too go with passion or brabus due to potential for wheel damage on brabus. Does not seem to be a reasonable wheel tire set up for brabus that would cut down on wheel tire damage but also meet specs both for handling and weight that would not void the warranty. Any solutions?
I've owned both a Passion and a Brabus coupe.

Brabus wheels look great but they're pretty close to butter soft. If your commute is littered with potholes and other road irregularities, you will bend them. Not terribly expensive to get them straightened. 17s all around look great and improve handling, IMHO. But they will be more delicate because of the thin sidewall. 15s all around would probably look pretty good as well and are probably less vulnerable ... but ... much harder to keep clean than the 17s. If you're not OCD about keeping your car spotlessly clean, the Brabus wheels will pit fairly quickly.

I traded my Passion for a U.S. spec Brabus because I was attracted to the look of the wheels, I loved the (slightly different) sound of the dual exhaust and the superior ride that came with the Brabus suspension. The only reason I traded it for a FIAT was that it had become physically uncomfortable for me to ride in.

My wife's Passion Cabrio has been upgraded with Brabus suspension from flying tiger in Vancouver BC and she loves the world of difference in her car's ride.

Not knowing what you want from the smart or how it will be used. it's difficult to make a recommendation but I'll try.

Buy the Passion, upgrade the suspension and add any number of aftermarket wheels that give you the look you want. Keep the stock wheels for your winter tires. If you live in Chicago, you'll need them.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dancote

Very informative. I am very OCD and can tell the passion wheel will be tough to keep clean but I can live with that. Car will be a city commuter and bad weather vehicle. Test drove in 2 to 3 inches of slush and seemed to do fine. Tired of putting my winter tires on SRT8 so this would be a nice switch. Seems like the passion would work better for my purposes. Thanks Dan

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
For bad weather commuting and BRABUS loving, why not buy the BRABUS and then buy a spare set of wheels for it?

Or, for bad weather, just buy yourself a Pure? I used my Pure for bad weather driving all the time. Now it's in storage with a missfire on cyl #1.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
For bad weather commuting and BRABUS loving, why not buy the BRABUS and then buy a spare set of wheels for it?

Or, for bad weather, just buy yourself a Pure? I used my Pure for bad weather driving all the time. Now it's in storage with a missfire on cyl #1.
How many miles do you have on your pure now?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
That's awesome. Congrats! :D
I'm disappointed about running on two cylinders. It was running perfectly with high compression only a couple hundred miles ago too. I remember it threw the cyl #1 missfire code and I got it to go away. I checked the compression and it was perfect.

A few thousand miles later, it threw the #1 missfire code again and this time the compression is down. I'm suspecting a burned valve, but I'm not giving up yet. I just haven't had the time to work on the car, especially with it now sitting in storage with outdated registration tags.

When I take a stay at home vacation, I'll pick up working on it. IF the engine is toast, I'm considering turning it into a project car one day but I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I'm disappointed about running on two cylinders. It was running perfectly with high compression only a couple hundred miles ago too. I remember it threw the cyl #1 missfire code and I got it to go away. I checked the compression and it was perfect.

A few thousand miles later, it threw the #1 missfire code again and this time the compression is down. I'm suspecting a burned valve, but I'm not giving up yet. I just haven't had the time to work on the car, especially with it now sitting in storage with outdated registration tags.

When I take a stay at home vacation, I'll pick up working on it. IF the engine is toast, I'm considering turning it into a project car one day but I'm not sure yet.
Smart car with Hayabusa Motor :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have owned all 3- a pure, a brabus, and currently a 2013 passion. I loved the brabus ride, but I too suffered minor damage on a brabus wheel. Brabus wheels are ridiculously expensive. I now have a passion with the 3 spoke wheels- easiest wheels to clean of any car I've ever owned.
One other thing to consider- the brabus rides lower due to different springs, and also has "ground effects" which makes the body closer to the ground. In snow, it seems a little easier to high center the car when the snow gets deeper, and, doesn't clear those ice chunks in the road left by plows or other cars as easily.
I had the most fun in the winter in my pure (with blizzaks mounted on a spare set of wheels) because the car was relatively cheap, so I didn't worry quite as much about salt getting on the car. Downside- no heated seats on the pure...
Brian
Appleton, Wi

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I have owned all 3- a pure, a brabus, and currently a 2013 passion. I loved the brabus ride, but I too suffered minor damage on a brabus wheel. Brabus wheels are ridiculously expensive. I now have a passion with the 3 spoke wheels- easiest wheels to clean of any car I've ever owned.
One other thing to consider- the brabus rides lower due to different springs, and also has "ground effects" which makes the body closer to the ground. In snow, it seems a little easier to high center the car when the snow gets deeper, and, doesn't clear those ice chunks in the road left by plows or other cars as easily.
I had the most fun in the winter in my pure (with blizzaks mounted on a spare set of wheels) because the car was relatively cheap, so I didn't worry quite as much about salt getting on the car. Downside- no heated seats on the pure...
Brian
Appleton, Wi
Chicago ~ Brabus ~ Bad combo with them stock wheels...BUT...It looks Nice...<:))

4 15x7" 3 Spoke ~ Best wheels I ever owned...

·
Registered
300 Posts

My buddy owns a shop and we talked about all the cars he has seen with bucket shim valve adjusters. He said that if you catch the car when it throws the code the first time and get the valves adjusted you can save the engine. He has done this on several makes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts