Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the chart somewhere on here but cannot find it now, there is a chart that indicates what is the widest tire that will fit on a certain size rim, what I am searching for is a wider tire to fit on a stock '09 Brabus wheel, thinking about going from 215 to 225.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The US spec Brabus uses a 215/35-17 on the rear. The EU spec Brabus uses a 225/35-17 on the rear. Both will work fine. The US spec Brabus uses a 175/55-15 on the front while the EU spec Brabus uses a 175/50-16 on the front.
Interesting, I wonder if the car is still calibrated to the EU spec tires. Reason I wonder this is because my speedo is rather optimistic about it's speed vs what I am reading on my GPS. Though would that difference be that big a factor....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks like this thread has been quiet for a while. I have the same question. I’ve got a 2015 Brabus with 215/35-17 Hankooks on the rear. One has a cut on the sidewall near the bead, which won’t get through state inspection. I’m looking to replace bothand the fronts, which are Hankook 175/55-15. They are all 5 years old and showing signs of deterioration. Anyone running anything wider? My choices seem to be:

Replace with the same sizes front and rear a Hankook or other (anyone tried Federal?)

Increase the sizes front and rear 175 to 185 or 195 and 215 to 225 (or even 235, if such can still be found)

Switch to 15 inch Brabus rims all around, and go to 185 or 195

Switch to 17 inch Brabus rims all around - at least one individual on here appears to have gone this route

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I’ve got a few weeks before inspection is due.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Looks like this thread has been quiet for a while. I have the same question. I’ve got a 2015 Brabus with 215/35-17 Hankooks on the rear. One has a cut on the sidewall near the bead, which won’t get through state inspection. I’m looking to replace bothand the fronts, which are Hankook 175/55-15. They are all 5 years old and showing signs of deterioration. Anyone running anything wider? My choices seem to be:

Replace with the same sizes front and rear a Hankook or other (anyone tried Federal?)

Increase the sizes front and rear 175 to 185 or 195 and 215 to 225 (or even 235, if such can still be found)

Switch to 15 inch Brabus rims all around, and go to 185 or 195

Switch to 17 inch Brabus rims all around - at least one individual on here appears to have gone this route

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I’ve got a few weeks before inspection is due.
How are your rims holding out. I am Going 215/45 17 Hankook in the rear 205/40 17 hankooks up front, but I am stock height Passion model your Brabus should sit lower. The 175/55's have given your rims a nice cushion up front all these years beware of a thinner side wall.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,435 Posts
I have been running 7.5x17 Brabus wheels on all four corners for almost 10 years with the 215/35-17 Hankook tires. No issues. If you switch from Hankook, check the tread width, overall width, and height of the new brand. Not all brands are created equal. An example Yokohamas of the same size as the Hankooks are slightly larger and can rub in the front. Certainly not telling anyone what to do, but passing on some of the info I have researched over the years. Good luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have been running 7.5x17 Brabus wheels on all four corners for almost 10 years with the 215/35-17 Hankook tires. No issues. If you switch from Hankook, check the tread width, overall width, and height of the new brand. Not all brands are created equal. An example Yokohamas of the same size as the Hankooks are slightly larger and can rub in the front. Certainly not telling anyone what to do, but passing on some of the info I have researched over the years. Good luck.
I appreciate the insight. There don’t seem to be too many choices, particularly for same style tire if one stays with the 15/17 setup. I have a full set of four of the 15 inch Brabus rims. Finding two 17s is more of a challenge.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,435 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a part number and do not know if they are still available new from a dealer. I have seen them on some EU sites that sell refurbished wheels for less than half the new price. If you do a search, someone did list a site a while ago that sold most all smart style wheels. Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I appreciate the insight. There don’t seem to be too many choices, particularly for same style tire if one stays with the 15/17 setup. I have a full set of four of the 15 inch nBrabus rims. Finding two 17s is more of a challenge.
IMO .. 205/50 15 is the tire to beat on a 15 inch set up. With the right sporty sidewall it's gives such a muscle look especially up front .
But if you want to keep some sence of stagger on your Brabus 195/50 15 up front 205/50 15 out back. Price point and intended use dictate the final brand you choose. If you go 17in the rear then it's 205/50 15 up front hands down IMO.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,641 Posts
Here are a couple smart (Brabus too!) wheel resources - one in Europe (shipping isn't that bad) and another in PA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
IMO .. 205/50 15 is the tire to beat on a 15 inch set up. With the right sporty sidewall it's gives such a muscle look especially up front .
But if you want to keep some sence of stagger on your Brabus 195/50 15 up front 205/50 15 out back. Price point and intended use dictate the final brand you choose. If you go 17in the rear then it's 205/50 15 up front hands down IMO.
I appreciate your insight. I have to admit, the 35 profile tires leave the 17 inch rims looking mighty exposed. A taller sidewall seems to be in order.

·
Registered
141 Posts
So anyone know what the part number is for the 17 inch Brabus rim? I’ve been looking through various listings and catalogs, but have yet to find a definitive part number. The parts catalogs I’ve found use a single line drawing for all rims, and there appear to be at least a dozen styles in the 3x112 pattern. The only ones I’ve managed to identify so far are the steel rims.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You've got to be very cautious when looking at listings for '17 inch Brabus rim'.
Why, because there were 17" Brabus rims for the 450, 451, and 452 - all in 3x112...
Then, there are different offsets for front and rear wheels for all three models.
Also, for the 451 (for the Monoblock VI) there was a 'flat' machined face and a rounded powdercoated face.
Off the top of my head, there should be at least 10 different part numbers in 3x112 in '17" Brabus rim'...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts