Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2017 453 with 24k miles. Yesterday a warning light Brake Assist System (BAS) Inoperative came on. Checked the manual which said it could also be or lead to other braking problems. As the car is under warranty they will tow it to the nearest smart service center which is Salt Lake City 325 miles from me. I will have to pay to have it towed back aprox $1400. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this light coming on. Can fly to SLC & drive the car back to Boise which would be much cheaper. Any thoughts??? Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Fly to SLC & drive your car back. Other option is to check auto transport companies and see what they would charge to transport your car back to you from the dealership.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just FYI.
My car had this "Brake Assist System (BAS) Inoperative" error once and went into "limping mode".
I.e. the car still moves but only slowly.
Before this, my car had the "rough idling" problem (P0016) and I was driving around trying to pin point the cause.
I had a bluetooth OBD2 EM357 reader installed on the car at the time and I was able to clear the code and drove home (~5 miles away).
After my "rough idling" problem was fixed, this error never came back.
So, may be you should attach a OBD2 reader to see what other error codes are showing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
about three months ago i experienced a very rough idling problem lasted a couple of minutes shut the car off went away never happened again. Where can i get access to the reader? Have had smart cars since 2008 never really had any problems. this is throwing me for a loop! p.s. thanks for the input

·
Registered
112 Posts
The OBD2 port on Smart (453) is located underneath the dashboard on driver side (left). My OBD2 reader dongle is just a cheap bluetooth unit bought online.
You plug in the dongle, turn on the car key, run an app on your phone and connect to the dongle via bluetooth.
Once connected, you can use the app to read and clear the common error codes.
Just keep in mind that "clearing the code" does not mean the problem is fixed. So write down the error codes in the order it shows up in the reader before you clear them. You still need to fix them.
In my case, the error code was P0016, followed by other confusing error codes (including this "Brake Assist System (BAS) Inoperative " error display showing up during the course of finding the fix).
In the end, I replaced the solenoid valve and everything is back to normal (so far, so good).
Smart Fortwo with gas engine since 2016 (North America) is 453. It has a Renault engine, totally different from 451.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My smart was trucked to Mercedes of Draper Salt Lake. It seems that the Vacuum Pump for the BAS was bad. Waiting on part to come from Germany. No more parts in the USA??? Thanks for all the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts