Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one I writing the first time hire , I have read perhaps all posts about this problem in this forum but can,t solve the problem .
I have 2014 ED , few days ago brakes become hard and on screen is showing brake malfunction . I checked errors and finded two :
1.The vacuum pump has malfunction - there is short circuit to ground .
2.The electric relay of vacuum pump has a malfunction - there is an open circuit .
May be some body from you had the same situation or have any thought .
I have a lot of spare part from ED with bad battery so I changed vacuum pump then engine computer ( beyond the passanger seat ) , fuse box , both relays + and -
, checked all wire : on engine , under carpet , under floor , checked brake swich and sensors - no resalt .
The bigest problem - in my country there is no Smart car dealers , is Dimler but they do not trade or make service to Smart car ( am in EU , 1000 km from
Berlin !!!! :( ) ,

·
Registered
258 Posts
The vacuum pump failed, actually its windings shorted to the frame according to the error reported. This caused the second error when the fuse/breaker blew.

So why did you go beyond the simple repair of (1) replacing the pump and (2) reset the relay?

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
--

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
65 Posts
Did you clear the codes after replacing all those parts? Perhaps you solved the problem, but assumed you didn't because the codes still appear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vacuum pump failed, actually its windings shorted to the frame according to the error reported. This caused the second error when the fuse/breaker blew.

So why did you go beyond the simple repair of (1) replacing the pump and (2) reset the relay?

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
--
thank you for responding , I do not checked resistance between +.- and ground becourse pump is on ruber bushing and thought can,t be shorted to the frame , I have chacked resistance existing and spare pump , thay are the same , all fuses where OK .
How I have to reset relay , by erasing error ? My friend who have diagnostic computer said that error automaticaly become inactive maybe he was wrong .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you for responding , I do not checked resistance between +.- and ground becourse pump is on ruber bushing and thought can,t be shorted to the frame , I have chacked resistance existing and spare pump , thay are the same , all fuses where OK .
How I have to reset relay , by erasing error ? My friend who have diagnostic computer said that error automaticaly become inactive maybe he was wrong .
Just changed vacuum pump , checked errors this time I finded three errors

Attachments

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
May I suggest you take you car to a automotive mechanic. It doesn’t need to be a smart one. They probably fix you car in a few minutes.

that your best bet. Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts