Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after stalking the "Expected wear of front rotors" thread, Brabus007 posted a link to these rotors on EBAY. Do you think that since the price is that cheap that the quality is bad? The sellers' reviews seem to beg to differ, but the old saying, "you get what you pay for" rings loud and clear. I am looking at an aggressive set of rotors that can last for a bit. I have pads, so maybe they will cut me a deal and not charge me for the pads. Thoughts?

2 Front Drill Slot Brake Rotors +4 Ceramic Pads - eBay (item 280611212449 end time Feb-02-11 00:36:50 PST)

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Looks to me that they are buying disks from the same distributors as everybody else, and their charging about $20.00 bucks apiece in this package deal to Drill & Groove them... Seems fair, and they do a Free Zinc Corrosion Resistant Coating after doing the Mod...

Yes, contacting them would be wize...

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Don't believe the Zinc coating will put up much of a fight against ceramic pads but at least the rest of the rotor will stay bright for a while. :)

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They might be doing that, but I thought I read somewhere that doing that is a really bad idea since the rotor wasn't designed to be drilled and slotted. I wonder if they are getting blanks and drilling them to spec.

Paul, I'll be painting the face black anyways to match my calipers so I guess once the zinc silver coating gets ruined by the EBC red pads I have, it will just be dull.

I'll have to call them to see how much they will charge by taking the pads out because I have an unopened box of EBC reds I'll put in with new rotors.

I have about two weeks to decide since my college books will be purchased and I'll see how much more money I have left after that considering college books are really expensive and I have no idea how much the wheel and tire mount and balance with a custom alignment is going to cost yet. I hope I'm not going to get taken for a ride, if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Never get drilled brake discs, especially single layer discs like the smart has.
Double worse if they are standard discs that have been machined.
The holes begin to crack outwards and offer no added braking efficiency or debris clearing.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the insight! Do you believe that is why the EBC dimpled and slotted rotors are having issues?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Never get drilled brake discs, especially single layer discs like the smart has.
Double worse if they are standard discs that have been machined.
The holes begin to crack outwards and offer no added braking efficiency or debris clearing.
There are two major types of high-performance brake rotors -- drilled and slotted
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-parts/brake-rotors1.htm

You just want to sell us these Un-Drilled Smart Disks...<:))

You would be hard pressed to find a motorcycle that does NOT have Drilled Single Layer Rotors...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts