Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
..I believe there was a kit a while back...but...like any mod for these cars you'll have to dig deep and stretch big$$$$$$$$$

Jetfuel...my 2....not needed mod..

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Why would you want rear discs on the Smart? Not only is the Smart already probably capable of stopping quicker than most other cars on the road, but all it'd amount to is ending up with brake dust on the front AND back wheels.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
..look into any VW shop...California has many...they have all kind of disk conversion that could be retrofitted ....

Jetfuel...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yes S-Mann has two different sizes available, both for the front and rear, for the 451 in case I'm in the wrong part of the forum. (Not used to TapaTalk). I asked at Smart Madness yesterday and got an off the head estimate of 2k

Might be cheaper to order direct. I should ask them if they have a brake profile to cut out and check fit in a wheel.

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can order two different rear disc brake set ups. Oversized and stock. From S-Mann directly and they will ship to the US. Last month when I did the math, it was about $900.00 US. to have the standard size shipped. Here is their site.

S-Mann - Specialized in products for all Smart models.

I want to do this to the car soon. My mechanic said he has done the rear drum to disc change, on Honda Civics and it has improved stopping distance greatly.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You can order two different rear disc brake set ups. Oversized and stock. From S-Mann directly and they will ship to the US. Last month when I did the math, it was about $900.00 US. to have the standard size shipped. Here is their site.

S-Mann - Specialized in products for all Smart models.

I want to do this to the car soon. My mechanic said he has done the rear drum to disc change, on Honda Civics and it has improved stopping distance greatly.
I have been interested too. My concern is whether it will fit in the current wheels on the vehicle, actually I am more concerned about the Sport Edition SM3s I have in the garage, (yet to complete). I do not want to add spacers as my favorite tire store America's Tire does not touch cars with spacers, and I am not going to enlarge to a 16 inch wheel as well, because of ride harshness, as well as extra cost! I want to ask them if they have brake profiles to print, cut out, and test fit to wheels, just haven't gotten to it. When I inquired about product availability a long time ago they didn't have the brake kits in the 451 section, but they assured me the 450 ones fit, and now they've updated their site with corresponding part numbers in the 451 section.

Much more reasonable than Madness it seems/I'm afraid. And it seems like they can remove the VAT!!! I tried to order a Brabus front spoiler from an eBay store in Germany and they could not remove the VAT, and I couldn't figure out a way to get it refunded. I ended up buying that locally...

Let's hope they either already have profiles to print, or that they can produce them somehow for testing. I'll let you know if I can get them and try to pass on a copy to you if I do. Or if you'd like you are free to ask them as well. They seem to be well versed in English as far as I know. I've just been shy.... :crying:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
thanks to all i will try the vw people
I asked for brake profiles, sent an image of a Rotora one, and got back the same image with dimensions, for a front kit, written on it. ? Hence I didn't respond sooner. I am also out of town since last Wednesday as well...

One thing to consider if you try to move front to back is the possibility of losing the parking brake....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
if the vw application works there is aprovision for an e brake ,i have done a disc conversion on a vw .
Is the VW 3x112? (If I'm even correct about that with regards to the smart). I sent an email to Wilwood, but nobody seems to have responded. They are not too far from me that I could volunteer mine for fitment....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
So I found a different product from Smarts4you Racing, a company in London, UK. Looks like the rear caliper is a nice normal shape that doesn't have a connection sticking out the top which might hinder fitment. They have a 280mm rear 2 pot conversion that they claim will fit all smart fortwo 15" wheels, and a 285mm or 280mm 4 pot front conversion, also claimed to fit all stock 15" wheels. The 280mm has rotors interchangable with the stock, and both 280 and 285 front systems share the same pads. They also have reasonably priced street pads listed for both front and back, as well as a decent variety of choices depending on use. Seems like they misnumbered the number of pots.....

I like them, but seems very costly....

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts