Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found ceramic brake pads for the 453? After 1,000 miles the front wheels on my Prime are covered with brake dust, just like my 2013 Pure was. After changing to ceramic pads from Rock Auto problem was solved. We need reduced dust pads for the 453.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Are those actually ceramic? I couldn't tell even after some research.
Nope,

Says right in the description Kevlar. I wouldn't use them. Tried the greens on my 08 smart, dusted almost as bad as the factory pads, and were horribly noisey. I think I ran them for about 5K miles, and changed them out for O'Reilly's ceramic pads.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I have searched all the usual places with no luck finding ceramic pads.

Remember, this is a low-volume, niche vehicle that hasn't been out very long. Wasn't much available for the 451 the first couple of years either... Shoot, it's only been within the last year that a decent selection of common replacement parts have become available through the aftermarket. 2 years ago, you still had to go to the dealer for wheel bearings & shocks & struts...

Most owners don't have enough miles on them to even consider changing brake pads...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The world will go on, even if everyone has dusty wheels.

If the OP thinks they really need ceramic pads they will have to either wait, find some in Europe or change the calipers on their car.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
'Cept for those who are tired of brake dust making the front wheels look like heck...
Very true, but most owners see a car as an appliance. They don't do maintenance until they have to, and certainly don't clean or take care of their cars like they should.

Although, it seems a higher percentage of smart owners(at least those on here), tend to be a little more anal about keeping their cars nice...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yea... that's what started to happen to my '09 Brabus ForTwo's front rims after a little while.... which prompted me to say hell with it and bought a set of Kleen Wheels. Essentially just a very thin metal shield that goes against the back of the spokes of the wheel to sit between the wheel and brake disc/caliper to stop brake dust from flying to the pretty side of the wheel. Only downside to those, though, is that they tend to make the rim look weird if you were to remove the Kleen Wheel at some point.

·
Super Moderator
28,980 Posts
Has anyone found ceramic brake pads for the 453? After 1,000 miles the front wheels on my Prime are covered with brake dust, just like my 2013 Pure was. After changing to ceramic pads from Rock Auto problem was solved. We need reduced dust pads for the 453.
Based on these ebay uk listings you are looking for pads that fit the Renault Dacia [also Sandero Captur Clio Twingo Forfour Fortwo]: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DP22146-E...pe:0.9&hash=item4643ab63f4:g:tO4AAOSwwbdWMuNN

1 - 20 of 33 Posts