Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an idea but I want some input. I had this idea a while back but walked away from the idea. Then I saw that the new Chevy Bolt is actually incorporating this concept.

The idea comes from an observation about the regen when braking for a stop. When I lift my foot of my go pedal, I see that my regen rate goes to about 50% on the charge pod. Then, if I lightly press the brake pedal just a tiny bit, that regen rate goes up. I've learned to try to use the regen to decelerate and only use the brakes as little as possible.

It would stand to reason that if I could manually activate the maximum regen rate, I could use that for most of my deceleration and use the brakes even less. I realize the newer EDs have paddles for this.

So my idea is to use one of the unused buttons on my button cluster to actuate that circuit that the brake pedal triggers. Has anyone experimented with this idea? Is there a reason this is a bad idea that I'm not thinking through? I haven't gotten under the dash to see what the brake pedal triggered electronically but I would think I could get it to activate the brake lights and everything. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
832 Posts
You are describing how the regen paddles work. They were an option at purchase and can be retrofitted. The toughest part is to find a smart center willing to activate them form you.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
So my idea is to use one of the unused buttons on my button cluster to actuate that circuit that the brake pedal triggers.

Thoughts?
"Juice" probably isn't worth the squeeze.

Never understood why, in an EV, Regeneration Paddles (w/a 3-spoke wheel upgrade) were a $190 option?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are describing how the regen paddles work. They were an option at purchase and can be retrofitted. The toughest part is to find a smart center willing to activate them form you.

Were they an option in 2013? I was thinking that was a newer thing but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anyone with paddles on here? If so, if you max them out, are you able to bring the car to a near stop? Also, what year were they available?

·
Premium Member
7,768 Posts
Is there anyone with paddles on here? If so, if you max them out, are you able to bring the car to a near stop? Also, what year were they available?
Yes on my MY15.

No.

Regeneration Paddles were available beginning with MY13 - option choice was regen or cruise with which the pure style 2-spoke wheel was upgraded to a passion 3-spoke.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have them. IMHO it makes for a completely different driving experience, others disagree. I don't think it saves much energy, though.
You can't come to a stop, because the annoying simulated automatic transmission creep takes over. That (in theory) could be turned off, too, but good luck finding a smartcenter that is willing to do it.
AFAIK they were available the entire time the ED3 was. But you had to special order them - no dealer ever ordered them for inventory.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Juice" probably isn't worth the squeeze.

Never understood why, in an EV, Regeneration Paddles (w/a 3-spoke wheel upgrade) were a $190 option?

My inspiration is more from the motivation to use the brakes less and get a little juice as Abby-product.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes on my MY15.

No.

Regeneration Paddles were available beginning with MY13 - option choice was regen or cruise with which the pure style 2-spoke wheel was upgraded to a passion 3-spoke.

Well that stinks, I don't have either paddles or cruise control. Seems like I have about everything else though, so I'm still happy with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello all,
I see this is an older thread but I searched for Regen Paddles and landed here.
To the fact I have the two spoke Electric 451 I decided to do my own paddles.
I have a video of the complete install.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello all,
I see this is an older thread but I searched for Regen Paddles and landed here.
To the fact I have the two spoke Electric 451 I decided to do my own paddles.
I have a video of the complete install.
I’m such a fan. This is exactly what I had in mind. I just wanted to manually activate the higher level of regen. I may have to copy the way you did it. So glad you posted this video. Excellent work.

·
Premium Member
7,768 Posts
AWESOME!!!

Smart car, some real ingenuity being employed here! Your DIY option may even exceed the capabilities of the OEM $190 regen option?

Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’m such a fan. This is exactly what I had in mind. I just wanted to manually activate the higher level of regen. I may have to copy the way you did it. So glad you posted this video. Excellent work.

Smart car, some real ingenuity being employed here! Your DIY option may even exceed the capabilities of the OEM $190 regen option?
Thank you both! I am glad this helped you out.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I doubt that this mod does anything that cannot be done with the throttle pedal and a light touch on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yinzer, exactly what I say in my video, but when I lightly touch the brake pedal I hear the pads scraping, it's hard to balance so I made the mod.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Yinzer, exactly what I say in my video, but when I lightly touch the brake pedal I hear the pads scraping, it's hard to balance so I made the mod.
My ED has a definite brake pedal-free-play zone, before the brake pads engage, that can be used for regen-only braking. But I am concerned this might change when I change the pads to aftermarket ceramic ones that don't dirty the wheels up so much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My ED has a definite brake pedal-free-play zone, before the brake pads engage, that can be used for regen-only braking. But I am concerned this might change when I change the pads to aftermarket ceramic ones that don't dirty the wheels up so much.
Well on my ED the brake pedal goes down 1/8" before regen takes effect, then another 1/4" of travel and pads start scraping. On the potholes, grooves, bumps and dips in Phoenix that 1/4" is hard to hold.

I do have Ceramic pads and the dust has reduced 90%. The front and rear get the same dirty from the roads and I barely see brake dust. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts