Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each morning when I back my car and drive around my apartment complex, my brakes squeak and this morning they screeched. After about 10 minutes of driving (all highway), I get to work and drive around work parking lot, but my brakes no longer seem to be squeaking.

I bought this vehicle 3 weeks ago with about 19k on it. It's a 2008 Cabriolet. I live in Texas (in case the oft-dry conditions matter).

·
Registered
660 Posts
One of 2 issues:

1) normal early am or post rain/carwash squeal caused by light rusting on rotors -- goes away after a couple stops clean the rotors.

2) pads are at wear limit and audible indicators are doing their job -- noise is intermittent for first couple days/weeks.

Want to verify it's not the second, otherwise normal.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Mine squeak with the first stop of the day. Wear indicators normally will squeak when you are not stopping, once the brakes are applied, they will quit making noise. With the open spoke wheels, it is pretty easy to take a look and see how much pad is left on the outside of the rotors, BUT remember that the inside pad may wear faster on some cars. Best way to check is to remove the wheel and take a look.

A good time to do a good hard scrub down on the back side of the rims to get all that brake dust and road grime off.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Ignore the disc brake comments. Your squealing is the crap drum brakes rusting every time it gets wet, even from the dew. The drums must be made from the steel left over from building demolitions. They rust up in only a few hours and are why you press down on the brake pedal and are jerked into the windshield by the grabbing.

Prove it to yourself. Park the car on a rainy day pointing out so you don't have to back and brake to get out on the road when you park the car overnight. As you drive away in first gear tomorrow morning, haul up on the emergency brake handle, which uses only the cheap drum brakes in the back. Keep the button pressed in and haul up on the handle while keeping it running with plenty of gas pedal. The squealing will wake up the neighbors for the first 300-500 feet until the brake shoes grind the rust off the drums. When, not if, the squealing stops and the braking smooths out, release the handle to release the parking brake. Notice how smooth the brakes now work without all that grabbing caused by the rust.

I grind off the rust every morning as I drive off until the squealing stops. I don't like to be thrown forward during normal braking at the stop signs. Just another gross mistake caused by letting the bean counters make engineering decisions to maximize profits.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
They rust up in only a few hours and are why you press down on the brake pedal and are jerked into the windshield by the grabbing.
My 451 sits outside for a week or two at a time during the good weather, never once has it done this. My 450 has ceramic front brakes and OE rears, at times the front brakes would stick before I switched to the ceramic pads. No issues after switching. I use the parking brake on the 450 no issues with rear brakes sticking, even if it sits for several days.

·
Super Moderator
28,701 Posts
Moi aussi! Three different smarts in SW Ohio, never had an issue with the rear drums. The fronts will squeak if the car has been sitting or if it's rained recently, but only on the first brake application. YMMV, of course. :)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Moi aussi! Three different smarts in SW Ohio, never had an issue with the rear drums. The fronts will squeak if the car has been sitting or if it's rained recently, but only on the first brake application. YMMV, of course. :)
No issues here in north central Ohio. I will be replacing my front pads soon as they are getting thin. fronts squeak from day one...rear never do..:wink:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all

Thanks everyone for replying. It's great to have something to bounce off you guys rather than taking it to the dealership. The brakes squeaking in the morning and after a rain is annoying, but at least it doesn't appear to be a brake issue (which was scary for me since I bought this vehicle new).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts