Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to discuss FIRST HAND experiences regarding front brake upgrades.

I’ve been looking around, and seems like Smart Madness is a reputable company. On their website they have multiple kits that seem to be rather similar in quality/tier. The two below are the ones I’m referencing. Or is it better to just buy the rotors and pads separate? Thanks in advance for your time and help! :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just replaced my fronts on my 453. I want to say they are the same as the 451s. I got them at the Irish parts store for $22! After some cussing and pouting I was successful at reassembling the keeper springs and DIDN'T have to replace the rotors. I was literally 1\32nd from the end of the pad because the clip that's to make noise broke off. The whole project was complete in 45mins

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been watching YouTube videos on how to change these out...looks really easy. Please let us know what you went with and your opinion of the results.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I replaced my fronts about a year with powerstop. Went for the crossed drilled and slotted discs and ceramic pads. They work very well. At high speed if you just seem on the brakes you can lock them up for a second. But they do stop very very well.
Btw if you decide to go with them, but from rock auto. They are cheaper there then everywhere else

·
Registered
101 Posts
I replaced my fronts about a year with powerstop. Went for the crossed drilled and slotted discs and ceramic pads. They work very well. At high speed if you just seem on the brakes you can lock them up for a second. But they do stop very very well.
Btw if you decide to go with them, but from rock auto. They are cheaper there then everywhere else
Which ones from Rockauto did you go with?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks, you are correct, can't find them elsewhere cheaper. Have any photos of them installed?
I don't, sorry. I didn't take any pictures during installation but it was very straight forward. They don't look special in any way except the drilled/slotted rotors.
Make sure you bed them in properly.
Also if you plan on cleaning your wheels from all the brake dust, do it after the bed in process. After they cool down of course.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Be really careful with the brake hose. On my 2016 it wanted the slough off the insulation. Weird design. Boots were really good and not dry rotted. I forgot about the tube of goop for the caliper bolts. Have 15k on the brakes and they don't look used. Funky music and a heater also helped ease my angst. Good luck on your project. Smarties are still fun to work on.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Just my .02, but I've never thought the stock brakes needed "upgrading." Here's what went on our 2011 when it was time for new brakes:
Total cost under $80 and they perform as well as the OEM brakes. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Just my .02, but I've never thought the stock brakes needed "upgrading." Here's what went on our 2011 when it was time for new brakes:
Total cost under $80 and they perform as well as the OEM brakes. :)
But you still have your front wheels covered in brake dust.

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Because I don't see it as an "upgrade"....YMMV, of course. :)
Oh, I didn't mean it as an upgrade to the braking system. Just to the brake dust system. ;)
Although I did hear before that ceramic pads actually have less of an initial bite, can't say that I felt it though

·
Registered
101 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts