Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I got a lemon, but I want to ask here if anyone else has had constant mechanical issues with their new Smart? I've barely had mine for one month and it's been in the shop more than in my driveway. First it was little things (a/c not cold, inaccurate fuel gauge) and now the bigger things (fuel valve inoperative and inoperative BAS system (brake assist system)) I've just been informed by the dealer that it could be a very long time until they can get the part to fix it because it's backordered in Europe. Meanwhile, I have a loaner. But basically I'm in the loaner more than the actual car I'm paying for. At this point, I have no confidence in the car, hesitant to take it out of town too far from the dealership in case another mechanical issue happens.

I just called the main Smart customer service line to lodge a complaint and was just brushed off. I was told the car will be fixed eventually.

Has anyone else here dealt with any of these issues with their brand-new Smart?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Lemon cars happen. Look into how the lemon laws are in your area might protect you. It is under warranty for 50k miles, once you get it back drive it. Roadside assistance is there if you need it.

If you are on social media, make a point of complaining there as well.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine has been pretty great. The fuel filling is a known issue.

You can actually go to smart's Facebook page and send them a message. You will get a response, usually within 12 hours.

·
Registered
495 Posts
or call the Bank, explain to them whats going on, get ahold of your states Attorney General and DMV ( check their laws) and get everything in writing..
usually this is what will happen, they will refund in full whatever you have into the car, or replace the car. or some other consolidation.

do not back down, do not let them brush you off, explain to them you will take legal action .. if you get the AT involved, my bet is in 24 hours you will get some action.

been down this road before... best of luck.

steveg.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
or call the Bank, explain to them whats going on, get ahold of your states Attorney General and DMV ( check their laws) and get everything in writing..
usually this is what will happen, they will refund in full whatever you have into the car, or replace the car. or some other consolidation.

do not back down, do not let them brush you off, explain to them you will take legal action .. if you get the AT involved, my bet is in 24 hours you will get some action.

been down this road before... best of luck.

steveg.
+1.

Don't back down, and don't give an inch. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Be the biggest A-hole in the world to smart. They are a large corporation. Blast them on facebook. Call the support line every day if you have to.

I know it sounds ugly, but until you get ugly, they won't give a darn. I've been down that road as well. I don't like doing it that way, but it's the only thing that gets their attention...:shrug:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Touch wood, mine has been consistently good but for the tank fueling issue which I'm on a waiting list for repair. My 2008 451 was much more problematic by this time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this 453 will give me no major issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
+1.

Don't back down, and don't give an inch. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Be the biggest A-hole in the world to smart. They are a large corporation. Blast them on facebook. Call the support line every day if you have to.

I know it sounds ugly, but until you get ugly, they won't give a darn. I've been down that road as well. I don't like doing it that way, but it's the only thing that gets their attention...:shrug:
This is pretty stupid advice. You can be firm without being an *******. If that doesn't work, then by all means.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
This is pretty stupid advice. You can be firm without being an *******. If that doesn't work, then by all means.

You can call it stupid advice if you want, but having been down this road before with a lemon(not with smart), I can tell you, until you lawyer up and become an @ss, they won't give you the time of day. Once I lawyered up and threatened legal action, they got real nice and attentive real quick...

Like I said, I don't like being that way, and anybody that knows me, knows I'm a pretty gentle and reasonable guy, but when you deal with a large Corporation like Daimler, the only thing to do is go big, or go home.

They will screw you around for months unless you bring the big guns out. In my case, I was originally told by the manufactures rep that "they can fix any car". well 13 months & 27 repair orders later, it wasn't any better than the first time it went in... That's when I got ugly. The OP shouldn't have to wait 13 months, or take it in 27 times for resolution...

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
The OP shouldn't have to wait 13 months, or take it in 27 times for resolution...

More to the point, the OP has not waited 13 months or 27 times. No need projecting that all situations and responses are alike. He has a loaner and parts on order – sounds like corrective action is in progress. I vote don't be an ass, yet.

·
Registered
451 Posts
OP has not stated where he lives. In California, it is not "13 months or 27 times" I think it is 4 times for the same problem.

However, it sounds as though it has not been the same problem over and over.

He can be a prick to his service writer and the service manager and even the general manager but all that will do is just get them in a mood to not help you. I suppose he could call smart and yell at them and threaten to sue but until he meets the legal criteria to satisfy the lemon law they will likely dig in their heels and tell him to pound sand.

Ascertain what the standards for lemon law buyback are, see if you meet those, go from there.

If you start out nice you can always become an @sshole but if you start out an @sshole you can't become nice.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,761 Posts
OP purchased his smart in NC, hardly as consumer supportive or litigious as CA.

I'd recommend that he contact the smart Brand Manager as she has always been pretty accessible.

But then again he's got a loaner, STUFF HAPPENS especially in year one of an ALL NEW model?

·
Registered
451 Posts
This will walk him through the entire thing... there is a time limit imposed on the manufacturer:

Lemon Law

Seems pretty straight forward and no reason not to play nice.

You get a lot more accomplished when the service department is on your side.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
More to the point, the OP has not waited 13 months or 27 times. No need projecting that all situations and responses are alike. He has a loaner and parts on order – sounds like corrective action is in progress. I vote don't be an ass, yet.
OP has not stated where he lives. In California, it is not "13 months or 27 times" I think it is 4 times for the same problem.

However, it sounds as though it has not been the same problem over and over.

He can be a prick to his service writer and the service manager and even the general manager but all that will do is just get them in a mood to not help you. I suppose he could call smart and yell at them and threaten to sue but until he meets the legal criteria to satisfy the lemon law they will likely dig in their heels and tell him to pound sand.

Ascertain what the standards for lemon law buyback are, see if you meet those, go from there.

If you start out nice you can always become an @sshole but if you start out an @sshole you can't become nice.

Obviously you two missed the point of my post. :bangwall: My personal experience was 13 months & 27 repairs. I only suggested that the OP not play nice that long. I know he/she has not had their smart in that many times.

They want to play nice the first few times, that's fine. I would as well, but once you get past the third or fourth time, it's time to put the gloves on.

Not every car can be fixed, hence the reason for the lemon law. I personally would keep smart on a very short leash on a problematic car like this(but this is also a prime example of why I don't typically buy first year cars). Their history of customer service is poor at best. smart has a long history of not caring for their customers. MBUSA treats smarts like red-headed step children, and their owners the same. The entire fuel fill debacle is absurd. There is absolutely no excuse why a defect like this made it to production, let alone has gone on this long un-resolved.

Yes, there are a few good dealers out there, and the folks living in those regions are lucky, but the vast majority only sell them because MB wants them to. MB needs smart for cafe credits, plain and simple. Any warranty work hurts their bottom line on an already low margin car. So they will procrastinate, and weasel their way out of any warranty claim they can. Sorry folks, but that's the fact of big business...:shrug:

I know I'm coming across very negative on this issue. I'm sure a big part of that is my past experience, but if you give an inch, they will take a mile. Don't give that inch, stand firm and let them know you won't be taken advantage of.

Keep every scrap of paperwork they give you, because if they don't fix it, that will come back to haunt them. It worked for me. I documented everything, and when the stuff hit the fan, I had paperwork to back up what I was saying, and they were forced to give in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
453 problems

Hi,
I live in Poland and have an early 453 pure, its covered 18,000 km and just started playing up. It stalls when idling and runs on two cylinders. Unfortunatley my nearest dealership is 250 km away in Warsaw and my vehicle only has 1 year smart assist (ever dentally) so I can't even get I recovered.

I so frustrated and upset no one wants to help. This is the 9th smart I've owned and the only one I've had a problem with.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Hi,
I live in Poland and have an early 453 pure, its covered 18,000 km and just started playing up. It stalls when idling and runs on two cylinders. Unfortunatley my nearest dealership is 250 km away in Warsaw and my vehicle only has 1 year smart assist (ever dentally) so I can't even get I recovered.

I so frustrated and upset no one wants to help. This is the 9th smart I've owned and the only one I've had a problem with.
You mean they won't tow it to your local dealer without a fee? Unfortunately, if that is the case it looks like you may have to pay for towing it to the dealer. Maybe you can pay for the towing up front and ask your local dealer to pay you back for it later? Or call the dealer and ask them for help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem is my nearest dealership is 250 km (about 200 miles) that a massive recovery bill, there's only 3 dealers in the whole of Poland, I actually took it a local Renault dealership is see if they could hook it up to a computer (it having a twingo engine) but no joy they won't touch it. I actually emailed Maastrickt now which is the main centre for customer service in Europe so fingers crossed.

Thanks for your reply ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts