Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
To the poster that said it's been around the block and seen some action...

Just because it's new doesn't mean you could add stuff to it. Anyways, I absolutely love the Crossblade--even though realistically you gotta think about it; 30K isn't expensive with something as new and rare as this.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
To the poster that said it's been around the block and seen some action...

Just because it's new doesn't mean you could add stuff to it. Anyways, I absolutely love the Crossblade--even though realistically you gotta think about it; 30K isn't expensive with something as new and rare as this.
Buffalo "CHIPS" ain't as plentiful as they used to be...BUT...That don't make them Valuable...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just for the record, in Mexico car dealers don't have this bad american custom of taking the cars out of the lot with dealer plates drive them everywhere and after some hundred miles on them sell them like new. In Mexico, when you buy a brand new car is literally brand new. Every car dealer has demo cars for test drives, and the dealer's employees and owners drive their personal cars.
That's why I don't doubt this car has 0 miles.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Moving the car around the factory lot, loading and unloading the ship, and scooting it around the dealers lot should be good for at least a good 8 to 10 miles or so. Mine backed off of the truck with almost 7 showing.
The crossblade does not have wipers on it's wee little windshield and that would get it into trouble with the feds.
The crosstown is as close as we would likely get to a blade, and it doesn't look promising for production.
I would grab one in a second if they would make them.

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
I want to know how importers get away with bringing them in the US is wipes are an issue. Motorcycles don't, but this has four wheels.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Something like "you can fool some of the people some of the time". If you should get stopped for something and an observent cop starts paying close attention to the vehicle, you "could" end up with a real problem with federal compliance. You could also make some clip on wipers.
As I recall, the wipers were not the only problem. Weren't all 450's that were legally imported required to have certain mods made by a registered
"shop" to be legal? I don't think they did any crossblades. Not just anyone can do the mods and have them be legal, even if it's as simple as just screwing on a new mirror or light, it has to be done by a federally certified shop.

·
5,933 Posts
And as far as emitions go, I bet one could find a Fortwo engine to put in. Don't know If It would fit though. I did read it isn't hard to import them, but I want to talk to a few people who have done it before I dive in head first.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you are not a U.S citizen, you can bring one in very easily and drive it all you want, where ever you want,...for a year. Then, it must leave the country or be placed on static display where it cannot be road driven. If you have your own estate and racetrack you could still drive it, but not on a public road.
If you are a U.S. citizen, you must make the car compliant to Federal standards. That means the engine, the crash safety, lighting and everything.
If the car is deemed sufficiently unique from the other variations made, they can even require that you crash a few of them so that they can be studied by the National Highway Safety circus.
If you go through all of that expense and hassel and are merrily driving down the road one day and get into an accident with a fatality, watch out, their lawyer will take your head off at the ankles.
You might be able to legally pull it off if you could bring one in as a "kit car" where you buy the parts as a kit and assemble it yourself. Depending on the state you live in that can be a pain, or a breeze.
In all instances, it is EXPENSIVE. I know because I imported a "special" vehicle once. It was a royal pain in the rear and took about 6 months to do.
How badly do you want one?

·
5,933 Posts
Well, bad of cours but what I want to know is how different, in the terms of safety, emitions, ect is a 2002 Crossblade from a 2008 Fortwo or even a 2002 US spec car? And it looks like many of the older smarts here have fowtwo vins on them anyway.

·
Registered
691 Posts
There were NO U.S. spec 2002 smarts. ZERO. There are only "grey market" modified imports. Virtually everything on them is non interchangable with the 451 series smart.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey let's not forget this one moving freely in the Kansas City Area:

There's always way...

·
17,384 Posts
Isn't that Leroy's crossblade? Didn't he say that it wasn't exactly legal for road use?

Yes, most USA smarts have just under 10 miles on them upon delivery. However, I have seen a picture of a Euro spec smart in a smart center with only 2km (less than 2mi) on it.

So it's possible that it's moved less than a mile (onto truck and to its destination) and thus, it shows "0".

As for importation goes, it has to be converted. Even the grey market 450s (they're on the import list along with Hayabusa bikes) had to be converted by a certified importer prior to being legal.

That said. There are a few loopholes you can jump through to avoid such costs. Some of them aren't as legal as one might please though. You can:

1. Disassemble the car and the powertrain (make it a glider) then ship them separately at different times. Doing so might make the car eligible under the current "kit car" law.

2. Find a wrecked 450, apply its VIN plate, enjoy.

3. Secretly import it in (the hay bale idea?) and do all in your power to attempt to register it.

Hey, if it was possible for a member to obtain a roady and a few others cdis from Canada, then how hard could it be to get a crossblade in?

21 - 40 of 74 Posts