Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after constantly getting poor mileage and 3 breakdowns with what said was plenty left to drive, they determined that my month old car needs a new battery. 'sigh'....so very disappointed, had such high hopes for this car.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Likely just an aberration. Numerous units sold out of West Covina and not a failure yet... sure it will likely occur at some point and time but none yet. :wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
had one come back as a buy back here in nor CA. owner claimed his car no longer started, charged, or could be jumped. they had to be towed to the dealership, and thats when the diagnosis came back the car was toast. there was no further info on it... other than when they tried gettin an answer from Smart, they said a new battery would take about 4.5 months to arrive, hence the owner sold the car back and left...

·
Registered
271 Posts
had one come back as a buy back here in nor CA. owner claimed his car no longer started, charged, or could be jumped. they had to be towed to the dealership, and thats when the diagnosis came back the car was toast. there was no further info on it... other than when they tried gettin an answer from Smart, they said a new battery would take about 4.5 months to arrive, hence the owner sold the car back and left...
Hopefully that owner got all his money back and could put it into a new Smart ED. Unfortunately for some, that experience would turn them off of ever considering another EV.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If there is *one* issue you really want to avoid, it's running the high voltage battery so low on power that the battery shuts down to protect itself.

Once that occurs, the 12V battery will power up the lights, radio, etc,. As long as the 12V battery is good, you should be able to charge the vehicle. But if you keep tinkering with the car trying to fire it up, leaving lights on too long, etc, if the 12V battery gets weak then GOOD LUCK. You will likely need to be towed to a smart dealership.

Last thing you want is a dead high voltage and dead 12V battery.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I had a customer that got one of the Gen II electrics.
Her husband drove it to his job at the airport.

Found out that the charge plug is the same (or really similar) as one they use on planes, and decided to plug it in to see what happened?

TOASTED the battery pack, planes run a much higher voltage than cars (DUH).

Battery pack was replaced under warranty since the Gen II were a "test fleet"?

That's the only other "major" failure of a traction pack on any smart electric that I know of? Have also heard of a few "cells" being replaced.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Going to be interesting if he is still getiing a $2500 Calif rebate check, even more so when he does not register the car the following year and gets a bill for $1700

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Going to be interesting if he is still getiing a $2500 Calif rebate check, even more so when he does not register the car the following year and gets a bill for $1700
According to the fine print in the program, the customer is not entitled to a $2,500 "rebate" without keeping the vehicle for 3 years. They have to buy or lease a new one for a minimum of 36 months.

·
Registered
646 Posts
According to the fine print in the program, the customer is not entitled to a $2,500 "rebate" without keeping the vehicle for 3 years. They have to buy or lease a new one for a minimum of 36 months.
I assume the customer did that when he bought or leased the car, before toasting the battery pack. So his rebate would have been processed without the state knowing the car had been a mfg buy-back. Smart does not have any legal obligation to inform the state if the sale is cancelled.

Plus it would have created another issue for Smart in that they would have to re-sell the previous car as a used car, and as such it would not qualify for the state rebate.

·
Registered
491 Posts
after constantly getting poor mileage and 3 breakdowns with what said was plenty left to drive, they determined that my month old car needs a new battery. 'sigh'....so very disappointed, had such high hopes for this car.
Can you please elaborate more about your problem?
When did you buy it?
What dealer did you lease/buy it from?
Names of people that you talked to in the dealer?
Did you get any loaner?
Any signs/problems before it went down?
Where or what level of charge did you use to charge it? Level 1, Level 2, level 3
Did you report your first insidents (breakdowns) here and when?
What are your options at this point?
Are they, the dealer going to give you another car? Are they going to fix it at their expense?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had a customer that got one of the Gen II electrics.
Her husband drove it to his job at the airport.

Found out that the charge plug is the same (or really similar) as one they use on planes, and decided to plug it in to see what happened?

TOASTED the battery pack, planes run a much higher voltage than cars (DUH).

Battery pack was replaced under warranty since the Gen II were a "test fleet"?

That's the only other "major" failure of a traction pack on any smart electric that I know of? Have also heard of a few "cells" being replaced.
In this case, it was an abuse or misused of the car and still the manufacturer fixed the problem. In case that the battery pack of something else in the car fails, I don't see why the manufacturer will not fix it in the first insident when obviously the battery was not working fine.
Sometimes we can run into bad luck but that's why manufactures offer warranty for defects or problems.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I assume the customer did that when he bought or leased the car, before toasting the battery pack. So his rebate would have been processed without the state knowing the car had been a mfg buy-back. Smart does not have any legal obligation to inform the state if the sale is cancelled.

Plus it would have created another issue for Smart in that they would have to re-sell the previous car as a used car, and as such it would not qualify for the state rebate.
I am turning a RAV4EV back to Toyota this morning. I just renewed the registration so as far as CVRP is concerned, the car will have been registered fot 2 years. I will be curious to see if CVRP has a way to track a transfer of this car. On the otherhand I had a conversation with someone at CVRP, while at an EV show last month and I asked him what the policy was regarding when a car is repurchased by the manufacturer. He said there is no specific policy, and suggested that I write a letter informing CVRP of the involuntary transfer and ask for an exception to the 3 year hold rule. This is a moral delemna and the outcome could inform others in this situation.

As my SO says, what to do?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I am turning a RAV4EV back to Toyota this morning. I just renewed the registration so as far as CVRP is concerned, the car will have been registered fot 2 years. I will be curious to see if CVRP has a way to track a transfer of this car. On the otherhand I had a conversation with someone at CVRP, while at an EV show last month and I asked him what the policy was regarding when a car is repurchased by the manufacturer. He said there is no specific policy, and suggested that I write a letter informing CVRP of the involuntary transfer and ask for an exception to the 3 year hold rule. This is a moral delemna and the outcome could inform others in this situation.

As my SO says, what to do?

Yes, they check the registration every year. If you're lucky, they'll let you keep the entire $2,500. Otherwise, they might send you a bill asking for the prorated amount back.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts