Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People have been known to do ambitious things, and I've been wondering how far people might travel in a smart ED. Theoretically, you could plan a trip in 70-mile segments, provided you could find a recharging spot each time.

One could charge while sleeping and cover a couple of hundred miles a day, if necessary. I even wondered if a cross-country route could be found, although the southwest seems especially intimidating.

Have ED owners ever gotten together to do a segmented circuit tour of a region?

Who holds the record for distance traveled in a smart ED? Please post your farthest distance ever driven from your starting point and back. (Or in a single direction, if it was planned as a one-way trip.)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I have done several trips from McLean, VA to the far side of Baltimore.

There is a SeaFood House there that my family meets at twice a month for Sunday Dinner.

They have an L2 charger (actually 4 of them). So, I can recharge while we eat.

It's right at 60 miles from my house. Mostly highway.

I was really worried the first time I did it. Even took back roads to limit my speed?

But I made it without even going into the HV reserve.

Now, I just take the highways, and get there with 25-30%. Plug in, have a nice long dinner with family. Unplug and return. I've done this 4 times so far in my ED.

Picked up my cabrio ED on 4/21, currently have 1379 miles. NEVER has left me stranded on the road. I have gotten as low as 3-4% SOC before finding a charger (they sometimes hide those things REALLY well?)?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
AND, who among our ED Beta Testers has defied EV range angst and actually found themselves dead at the side of the road with no charging station in sight?

Has it happened more than once and what was the outcome?

·
Registered
116 Posts
(..) One could charge while sleeping and cover a couple of hundred miles a day, (..)
That sleep part doesn't work very well in a Smart, though. The seats don't recline far enough to do that comfortably.

It's somewhat alleviated with the recline-mod (i.e. forcefully leaning back and going beyond the lock position, as described elsewhere on this site).

However, in the Cabrio the Mickey-Mouse ears, (= seat belt guards) are the limiting factor to recline further, and not the ledge of the trunk.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ I can sleep anywhere, in a position.

I'd fold the passenger seat flat forward to make one large cargo space with the trunk, and zzzzz just fine.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've gone 105 miles in the winter, but that included a few hours of charging while visiting a museum. Sorry, didn't note the time.

85 miles with 1 hour charge last week, then had 18% left at the end of the day (or about as much as the 1 hour charge, so could gone without).

One of these days I'll pick a nice weekend morning and drive 100 miles back roads. Shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
521 Posts

This was in the fall last year, no ac, no freeway, just city and backroads with speeds up to 55. Had 6% battery left. Haven't achieved it again though since i don't drive conservatively like that anymore. :trafficlight: :smartje:

·
Registered
10 Posts

This was in the fall last year, no ac, no freeway, just city and backroads with speeds up to 55. Had 6% battery left. Haven't achieved it again though since i don't drive conservatively like that anymore. :trafficlight: :smartje:
HI there, i just noticed on your picture, the gear indicator reads "D" with a small "-" ? i have an smartED, but i see no such "-".. can someone be able to tell me what this is ?

thank you in advance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
HI there, i just noticed on your picture, the gear indicator reads "D" with a small "-" ? i have an smartED, but i see no such "-".. can someone be able to tell me what this is ?

thank you in advance.
That's the regeneration level, only shows if you have the paddles. It's in the manual.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Drove to low battery.

Started with 40% SOC remaining, and did 70km in that one trip.
Easily able to get to 140km of total range in my Smart ED.

Smart Electric Drive: Running on empty, cause' that's the way I roll

I recharge less and less often now. I am comfortable with the range of the car, and it doesn't concern me to leave in the morning with 40% SOC, as I know I can do my commute and side trips no worries.

My winter range was about 90km on very cold days, as I ran defrost full blast along with heated seats.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I drove our office LEAF 75 highway km on Thursday and only 3 of the 12 power segments on the dash were remaining afterwards. Yeesh.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry, all German.
He has the 22kW fast charger, so that makes it easier. There were some issues with ICEd or defective charge stations...

500KM Langstrecke mit dem SMART ED - fortwo ed - Batterie, Reichweite ? smart fortwo electric drive | Elektroauto Forum
Threw together the following translation. Note: my own comments/annotations are in brackets.

500 km [~310 mi] Long distance trip with Smart ED3 with 22 kW charger

I'm always happy about the reports in the forum and wanted to contribute one of my own for a change. After delivery [of my Smart ED] to Karlsruhe the first long distance trip with overnight stay was due.

I planned a visit to Feldberg [Black Forest], an interesting destination for sure, elevation about 1200 meters [=3900 ft]. I was looking forward to the winding roads and finding out what the stepless acceleration would be like going uphill. For the trip I had solely mapped out 22 kW charge stations along the way in order to waste as little time as possible with charging.

I set off in Karlsruhe, 190 km [=118 mi] to destination, impossible to cover without stopping to recharge.

Started the trip on a Saturday morning at 9:20. First leg to Kappel-Grafenhausen is 100 km (=62 mi), EnBW [EnBW=regional utility] 22 KW charger right at the ESSO gas station at the Autobahn exit.

Got there after one hour. Charge station was ICEd, great. But I'm in luck: almost immediately, a man approaches and drives his car off the charge space. After hooking up and making sure the charging starts properly, Herr Schneider buys me a coffee and we discuss mobility with electric cars; hardly anyone comes to charge and he's not allowed to put up a sign on the Autobahn for the charge station.

It turns out he owns this and one other gas station with rest area on the Autobahn in the area as well as two Smart ED that he lets long distance truck drivers borrow to go into town for doctors' visits and other errands. What a concept!

Unfortunately, my charge got interrupted and I didn't notice it right away. After initiating the charge process again, I let it charge to 90%, since I want to charge in Freiburg anyway before beginning my ascent to 1200 meters [=3900 ft].

It's 11:30 now and I travel at 110 kph [~70 mph] to the next 22 kW EnBW charge station at a Mercedes Benz dealership in Freiburg. After asking the staff it took me a while to find it right in the middle of customer parking, but a note on the charger says it's broken. Darn. What now, it is noon and I only covered 140 km [=87 mi]?

I find the closest charge station with the help of the RWE App [RWE=another regional utility] at an ADAC branch [=German AAA equivalent]. Used SMS Pay to pay for charging and got from 50 to 90% SOC within 30 minutes. I leave the soft top closed, because it uses more energy and I need to save.

Shortly after 1 p.m. I continue and begin the ascent to Titisee via Hirschsprung, not at full speed to save charge, but 70 kph [~45 mph] only. There is supposed to be a free charge station in Titisee, but it is ICEd, again. So, I park in the disabled space right next to it and the cable just barely reaches.

Activated the charger with my EnBW prepaid card, but left right away again, only wanted to make sure it works. I continue and reach Feldberg with 45% SOC; so I didn't even have to stop to charge in Freiburg.

Total drive time with charging in between: an incredible four hours [for ~120 mi].

After an overnight stay and day trip I begin the return trip Sunday evening.

At 6 p.m. I'm back in Titisee at the charge station and top off. Continue after 30 minutes, soft top down, headed for Karlsruhe. This time I don't take the same route back towards the Autobahn, but instead take the rural highway via Furtwangen. But, after only a few kilometers [=fewer than a few miles] the road is closed. I actually wanted to go the full distance at an economic speed without recharging, but that is nixed now. So, I take the detour, which adds 10 km [~6 mi]. After several inclines and declines of a few hundred meters [=about half a mile], it is all downhill until I get out of the mountains to Offenburg. I recuperate downhill the whole way not using any juice and gain kilometer after kilometer in range. After about 2 hours and 120 km [=75 mi] I reach Offenburg, where I had originally planned to recharge, but my SOC is at 50%, so I head straight for the Autobahn.

My range is shrinking fast, I have a headwind. So, I slow down to 80 kph [=50 mph] and mosey to Baden-Baden. At the railway station Oos is an EnBW 22kW charge station. I won't make it home if this one is broken too. It's not! I charge up from 15 to 40% in 20 minutes, enough to get me home for the remaining 40 km [=25 mi].

Top down again and home on the Autobahn. I get there at 9:20 p.m. (3.5 hours later) with 25% remaining charge.

Total distance covered in two days: 500 km [~310 mi].

All in all a fun trip. Though, realistically a bit of a lottery: Anything outside the Smart's range almost certainly requires an overnight stay with slow overnight charging at the hotel, besides the luxury of time.

To be truly long distance [=European long distance] I'd need at least a 200 km range [~125 mi], but for the daily commute the Smart can't be beat.

·
Registered
527 Posts
22KW charging using the same battery we have in our North American cars which only provide 3.3KW charging...

I was impressed that he could charge so rapidly in our little electric city car. Smart has done some solid engineering to achieve that. :eek:

For me, the longest trip I plan will be 120km one way, with an overnight stay, and 120km back. I'm going to stop at a restaurant half way through the trip for a light lunch to get an extra 3.3KWh charge, as I want to travel at least 110km/h on the highway and have juice to spare at my destination to provide some demonstrations (and use kickdown of course). :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
174 miles in one day

Monday was a busy day for my smart:
45 mile round trip in the morning, to drop a bunny off at the vet.
Back home to charge a couple hours.
75 mile round trip to meet a friend for lunch. The restaurant had a charge point, so the smart got to have lunch, too!
Back home to charge for the afternoon, interrupted by a short trip to run errands.
45 miles to the vet again at the end of the day, to pick the bunny up. She had her teeth trimmed (it's a bunny thing).

174 miles total, still had 25% when I got back home at the end of the day, roughly 13 hours after I first left the house in the morning. The smart was basically charging the whole day, except when I was driving it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm driving 82 miles (total roundtrip) daily. 90% highway with speeds highly variable, but going with pace of traffic, it is often 70mph sustained. Other times it's bumper to bumper for miles at a time. IOW, unpredictable.

But, I have had no problem making it on one charge (in spring/summer DC weather, no A/C, no headlight, but LED DRL and Radio/Nav/Amp always on). So, based on my SWAG and 6600 total miles of driving experience, I think I could drive the ED 110 miles if I keep it at 40 mph consistently.

Also, knock on wood, all trouble-free miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts