Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! I am starting this thread to allow you to watch the progression that I take and the things I do to recreate my current smart car exactly as it is as a RC smart car. It is one heck of an exciting project and I hope you all enjoy!

I'll post a video soon, but I have a car show to get ready for! :D:cool:

I want to thank BB Benz and Gbryers for shipping me two smart cars. As a side note, Gbryers, your smart car will be kept in its original box unopened as a collectors piece and BB Benz, yours is going to be the one for my project :)

Here is what I am planning. With all the modifications I did to my current smart car, I am going to replicate on the model RC smart! As another side note, the red is more of a rally red than a metallic red/orange IMHO. It's alright though, can't expect them to accurately color match the cars. I would have painted it color match paint if I had more time, but then again, I wanted the vinyl done and it ready to show off at the car show by Sunday so there was not that much time to get it painted.

After it was removed from the box, the wheel bolts were sharpied to replicate wheel bolt covers. Then, the tridion was painted. To do this, we sprayed spraypaint into a cup and used a paintbrush to apply two coats of spraypaint paint to the tridion cell after it was all taped off. Also, the silver on the remote control was painted black to match the tridion cell.

Then, it was given to my vinyl guy that did my car to create an exact replica of the vinyl that is currently on my car. I am picking it up today (it is 12:40 A.M. on Friday and I'm picking it up Friday). :eek:

Then, after the big show, the interior will be spraypainted or painted a matte black to match that of my current interior. After that, we are going to try and make a miniature side ram air scoop and then maybe take off the fog lights and make a dual tip exhaust for the back since I don't have the fog lights and the proportions are close to that of what it would be for the scale. Also, I am getting custom license plates made up...huge thank you to GetSmrt28277! :cool:

The only thing I won't be able to replicate is going to be the rims and the fabric top. :( Maybe a drastic cut and some fabric will do the trick :confused:

As for future updates, I plan to either get smoked paint for the side windows or going back to my tint place and asking for a scrap piece of tint to use a project.

As for performance updates, maybe Butch has some tricks up his sleeve? He always does and he is a mechanical engineer so he might take a look at it and think of some awesome radical idea :p

Anyhow, I hope to get that video up soon and I hope you are all having a great day and keep on modifying that RC Smart!:)

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was actually considering trying to rig up a fake NOS using a miniature CO2 canister somehow, but it would take up the whole interior. :(

Haha at the engine mount and iridium plugs! :rofl::rofl:

For a wee bit of an update, I probably won't get my RC car back for the car show. I need to go start my two day cleaning process on my car and the weather here is so messed up it wouldn't be worth going out. :(

·
17,372 Posts
Some pointers as I'm on my own modding journey:

1. Add tiny slits in any vinyl attached to the the car as the paint (for some odd reason) won't allow a firm application...Original MiniNeon had its chrome getting air bubbles in it and would only smooth out for a few hours. I added some small slits in MiniNeon II and so far 0 air bubbles.

2. The interior paint doesn't bleed, shoot some Krylon Fusion (in flat black, at your local ACE Hardware) in the desired places and it will come out beautiful. But be careful handling it, even though it says "1 hour" your fingerprints will get embedded into the paint if you hold it with enough grip. After 24 hours it will be smooth to the touch.

3. The stock chassis does not have much potential. If you want to make performance out of that chassis it'll be best to replace all the hardware inside or just swap chassis with another car.

As for cabrio conversion I'm working on it. I wanted Project Black to be a cabrio. Cabrio conversion would require a cutting tool (check), fabric, and some super glue...

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neon,

1. So far, the vinly is holding up fine. No problems as of yet. He has been doing for decades and he is an incredible artist.

2. Walmart stocks Krylon. I love Walmart! Whatever you do, please, don't use Rustoleum. Ever.

3. Maybe not a full racing application, but maybe just a few tweaks here and there for me.

I am working on a suggestion I was given and that is using a thin strip of craft black felt and applying that to the top instead of cutting and whatnot. It will make it look just like a cabrio. Maybe even put toothpicks underneath it to give it a more realistic look. It will look like the the cabrio support bars showing through.

·
17,372 Posts
Your vinyls must be more sticky than my stick on chrome. Then again my stick on chrome is following the sharp curves of the lower trid, which is where the bubbles were located...Yours are on completely flat real estate...

I've used Rust Oleum before, ruined my Pinewood car along with some other projects...I wouldn't GIVE a can to my worst enemy...

RE: Your Cabrio Conversion.

I like your felt/toothpick idea. However the upper trid of the cabrio differs slightly from the coupe (it goes straight up to intercept the bars rather than curve like the coupe).

Are you going to try to fix that or leave it be?

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
So take the mini car, Set it under the big one at the car show, and as folks walk by peek its nose out and then hide back under daddy.

Try to give the car some character as you work with it. You can then use the remote antenna as a pointing device as you talk about your car

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Neon, I might leave it be depending on what type of material I am working with and how hard that would be.

Forest, that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of having my mini smart on the center console on the black plastic where the tach and clock pods would be right above the radio.

·
17,372 Posts
So take the mini car, Set it under the big one at the car show, and as folks walk by peek its nose out and then hide back under daddy.

Try to give the car some character as you work with it. You can then use the remote antenna as a pointing device as you talk about your car
I like that idea...:)

My Crossblade :)rofl:) and I want to try it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts