Smart Car of America Forum banner

Bridges of Madison County, Iowa - September tour

5K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  fannum 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Organizing a trip to “The Bridges of Madison County”. For more details, please, go to
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f81/bridges-madison-county-september-tour-32750/
and answer the poll. Thanks.
This will be a flexible event. All the group activities will be Sunday, and an easy drive to (up US 169 in convoy?) and from (save time return on I35) in one day for most. But if you want to spend more time, come up Saturday and relax in the heartland. There are affordable motels, some quaint and wonderful B&Bs, and stick to your ribs food that inspired Betty Crocker.
Please send me a PM or respond if in any way interested. I'll be developing and adding more info and based on interest, will negotiate group rates at motel and/or a B&B. Working date is the September 18-19 weekend.

Cheers, Bob in KCMO.

#7 ·
Current plans for Madison County Bridge Trip 9/18-19

We look forward to meeting more folks from Iowa

Check the main KC listing for more info under
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...50/#post366251
Less than a month remains until the MoKan smart car group’s trip to Winterset, IA. This will be a mostly unstructured weekend event with dozens of Midwest heartland farm attractions and shopping opportunities. Most folks are expected to arrive Sunday for a late morning guided tour of the famous covered bridges, culminating with a hearty farm style afternoon meal. But others will arrive Saturday or even Friday night to take advantage of the Saturday market. We have smart owners from five states signed up at this time, and we’ll invite some locals to join us for the meal. We can get to know each other and Winterset better while passing dishes around.

Please let me know if you are attending for a head count for meal, bridge tour and passes. Our working cost of $30 ea would cover the meal, bridge tour, and local attraction admissions. Based on your response and a visit to Winchester, details will be firm by 9/5.

( ) # of SATURDAY attendees for a brief historic farm visit**
( ) # of CARS for the SUNDAY Bridge Tour
( ) # of attendees for the SUNDAY afternoon meal
Names and residence town of attendees for name tag.

Please send an email to Bob Storck at bstorck@sprynet.com, send a PM or call (816) 943-0060 with preliminary head count information.

#10 ·
Iowa attendees

So far, we've heard from Larry and Mary from Des Moines, Dale and Dawn Gruis from Indianola, Art and Blake Kistler from Iowa City, and Rusty (whose last name I need) from Des Moines.

I'll send out an update tomorrow with a few more details learned from my visit there yesterday, and we have plenty of room for more at this time. Please send my your email for my update distribution. bstorck@sprynet.com

We'll have a tour of a 150 year old working farm with restored original barn at 3PM on Saturday, and the bridge tour at 11 on Sunday, with the family style meal following at 1-130. We'll have smart owners from five states, and several Winterset folks joining us for dinner.

Cheers, Bob in KC

#12 ·
So the wife says "and tell me again WHY you haven't already told them we're coming?!?" So, I'm late (as always) Laura and I should be there for Saturday and will be there for Sunday for certain. (If I'm not late again. Of course.)

Ray
No problem, and I just need names for access badges for the many local activities. Is that Ray and Laura Hague, West Des Moines, IA?

Your email address in the note creates the question.

Cheers and look forward to seeing you both, Bob

#13 ·
One week update

One week details - Madison County Iowa Bridge and historic farm visit 9/18-19

We're in the last days the MoKan smart car group's visit to Madison county, and we'll make it a visit to the heartland with links to the heritage that made our country great. Plus, plenty of the tasty and nutritious food that satisfied our youth. The forecast is great, we'll have smarts coming from up to five states, and will meet lots of new friends. The Sunday family style afternoon meal will be arranged with lots of time to get to know each other. It is important that I get a head count for the Sunday meal by Tuesday, Sept. 14. If you DIDN'T get a verification email by now and are attending, please let me know. (If you'd like to attend but can't stay for Sunday, or the meal, or need a special diet, let me know and we can work it out,)

With so many coming from widespread areas, I'd suggest not doing more than informal convoying, but I wholeheartedly have enjoyed my recent trips along US169 and other small back roads. There is an entirely different America traveling off the Interstates, with no fast food, gas stations without brands, little or no traffic, and more American flags than I see in town on patriotic holidays. I'd suggest taking part of your trip on these roads ... at least an hour or so, far outside the cities.

Our main emphasis will be on the Sunday tour of the historic covered bridges, and life long resident Glenna Finney (who used to walk to school over the Roseman bridge!) will tell us how they were such an important part in building our stream filled nation, (and if asked, will tell their place in Hollywood lore.) Following, the 'kitchen crew' of St. Paul's Lutheran church will prepare us delectable platters of Pot Roast, Chicken and all the locally raised fixin's ... not exotic or spicy, but just solid comfort food. Then we'll present you with the terrible choice as to whether you're going to linger with good conversation and an irresistible variety of home made pies and cakes, or squeeze in a visit to the Winterset attractions before the trip home.

Those coming up early Saturday will be able to enjoy the town square farmer's market (which draws restaurants from many miles), and stay to shop at special sales in the varied stores around the square. As an extra temptation, the town has their annual yard sale in many households. While there last Tuesday, my cousins gave me luscious, sweet cantaloupes which I made last till Friday! Remarkably, while the recession is evident, the full store fronts show Iowan optimism doesn't listen to the evening doom.

Most importantly, there are easily dozens of worthwhile attractions around town and the nearby county, for which our group has arranged paid admission. John Wayne HAD to have been born in such a place of solid American values, and the not to be missed Historic Village at the Madison Museum is like stepping a hundred years into the past. Madison county is full of variety. You can visit trains, planes, balloons and all types of horse drawn contraptions, or explore the prairie before we arrived and as George Washington Carver learned to shape it. And a learn about a US President who probably should have been.

Those of us wanting to experience an early century soda fountain and luncheonette will visit the Montross Pharmacy for chocolate malts with fries on the side. Then you have the option about 3 in the afternoon of visiting a 150 year old farm which is still being worked by a cousin, and the original 1880s barn and many of the original buildings have been lovingly preserved by a true enthusiast and friend. In the evening, the place that all the local groups meet is the Northside Cafe, as well as that Eastwood guy. Good home cooking.

So, verify that you'll be coming and we've been able to keep the cost to $30 a head, which will cover the Sunday meal, bridge tour, admission to Winterset attractions,
snacks, fees and incidentals. (All extra proceeds will go to local activities.) I'll be at the Super 8 Hotel Friday night with bags, tags and details, and around the square Saturday AM in the yellow smart, loud shirt and straw hat. Sunday, everyone will meet at 10 or so at the Chamber of Commerce on the square, which will be opened so we can get coffee, juice, apple fritters (Winterset is the proud home of the Delicious apple!, and these are made to order by the corner bakery) and traveling needs. Call me on my cell any time at (816) 943-0060. In difficulties, check in at the CoC for aid.

For more details, check the SCOA forum at http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f81/bridges-madison-county-september-tour-32750/index2.html, especially the 8/29 update. Or don't hesitate to check with me.

Thank you for the chance to get to know my family and kin better.

I look forward to seeing you in a week, Bob Storck

#14 ·
Leaving for Winterset tomorrow

Leaving for Winterset tomorrow

While we'll have some rain, none of the events are really outside ... covered bridges, remember! Even the Saturday AM farmer market has canopies.

I cannot emphasize how friendly and accommodating the folks have been from the Chamber of Commerce, the museum directors, restaurants, bakery, and especially the hotel manager. We're looking at about 20 cars, and are breaking even. Anyone coming last minute is welcome ... just look for the yellow smart with yellow wheels and the guy with a loud tropical shirt and straw hat.

Let me know last minute names Thursday night as I'm gone in the morning. My cell is 816-943-0060, and may not work in all parts of Madison County, but look around the CoC.

Saturday
1130 Lunch at Montross Pharmacy lunch counter on square
3P Historic farm/barn tour 9 miles north on US169
530P Dinner at Northside Cafe on square

Sunday
9-11 Coffee, fritters and muffins at CoC on square
11 Guided tour of Bridges of Madison County
1P Family style Sunday dinner at St Paul Lutheran

Cheers and enjoy, Bob

#17 ·
Bob, Sharon. and I had a good time this weekend, in Winterset. Cool old bridges. Sunday dinner was excellent. Loved the museum. Still waiting for the waiter at the cafe' yesterday breakfast, to take my order. The rain didn't hold us back. I don't know about the Jeep 4 wheel drive part. Need some skid plates, on my smart.

Took 169 home last night, nice drive. Very foggy. Some Amish girls wave at us on the road last night. Every little town got a kick out of our little car. It's electric. Dale and Gay almost hit a couple dogs on the highway. Very very foggy till we hit Mo. Went from 51 degrees in Iowa, to 87 degrees and sunny in KC. Had to wash all the mud off my smart, before it went in the garage last night. Have part of Iowa on my driveway.

It was fun to see all our friends from the Nationals there. Meet some new folks too.
Will post some photo's tonight. Again thank you for putting the weekend together.

#18 ·
Bob, Sharon. and I had a good time this weekend, in Winterset. Cool old bridges. Sunday dinner was excellent. Loved the museum. Still waiting for the waiter at the cafe' yesterday breakfast, to take my order. The rain didn't hold us back.

I'm delighted. The Northside had a big family show up from the wedding for breakfast in the back room just before you arrived, and they hadn't counted on them apparently. Only had two waitresses! We over loaded them.

Glenna kept raving about the group, and how much fun they were. She so much wanted to show us all of Winterset, and was mostly used to doing bus tours, and didn't realize how much time was taken up going through the park down to the tower ... geez, I'd only been through there some years past, and that's a BIG park in the middle of town!

Took 169 home last night, nice drive. Very foggy. Some Amish girls wave at us on the road last night. Every little town got a kick out of our little car. It's electric. Dale and Gay almost hit a couple dogs on the highway. Very very foggy till we hit Mo. Went from 51 degrees in Iowa, to 87 degrees and sunny in KC. Had to wash all the mud off my smart, before it went in the garage last night. Have part of Iowa on my driveway.

Found the same, and was about an hour or so later after settling up. The wedding photog couple showed up about 15 minutes late, and didn't bring my cell number, so meandered around the bridges, apparently just missing us. Didn't print out the itinerary, so didn't know where the dinner was either. Oh, well!

Kept getting great feedback from everyone I checked out with, and am especially delighted so many liked the Historical Complex. I feel that's an area that can grow and grow. From some of my Smithsonian contacts, I'm sure we can hook them up with an impressive steam engine, a Pullman car and a caboose for the train depot ... they have some tracks already.

Looks like you'll have the rain this week. Only heavy bout was while we were in the barn. Too bad we couldn't drive around the fields. I'm going to investigate getting a transmitter that will broadcast short ranges on like 550AM for caravans and tours. It would be useful for these events.

It was fun to see all our friends from the Nationals there. Meet some new folks too.
Will post some photo's tonight. Again thank you for putting the weekend together.
I think we may have even sold some smarts ... Glenna is going to look at one that one of the Des Moines folks knows of.

Cheers, Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.