Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time ever, my smart let me down.

So, my (Edited) Serpentine belt has been squealing ever since 40k. I've argued with the dealers all the way past the expiration of my warranty about it. I've had independent mechanics tell me that a pulley is defective....but the dealers and smartUSA ruled that there was never anything wrong with anything.

Anyway, I crossed 110k last night (I've been driving a whole lot less since moving) and was celebrated this morning by finding a pile of pieces to the belt under the car. Looks like only 25% of the belt remains and it's very badly damaged.

So, what's the cheapest way I can get little Tucker fixed and back on the road? Are there any short term solutions just so that I don't get stranded somewhere? (like on the way to the dealer, etc)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If you're willing to do the job yourself, it's only as much money as the belt itself. If not, it's an easy job that any mechanic can do very quickly. Mechanics often say the pulley is "defective" in order to avoid you blaming them if they install a replacement belt and it doesn't last long. If your belt has been squeaking from 40k to 110k, the tension was incorrect or the belt was due to be replaced anyway.

I wouldn't worry. Just get a new belt and have it installed. It should last you a long time after that.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If your A/C belt is broken, it will not disable your car, as that belt runs only the A/C compressor. If your serpentine belt has parted, you are stuck. The spring-loaded tensioner for the serpentine belt is a little tricky, but the belt can be changed in your driveway fairly easily. Raise car, remove right rear wheel, remove plastic guard, pry tensioner to create slack, pop on the belt. Look up photos if in doubt of routing.

The dealer is a good place to get the proper A/C belt. It is a stretch belt, a regular belt the same size will not work. This belt is behind the serpentine belt. Replace both belts at the same time and be done with it.

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew, does Autozone or Advance etc have our belt?

EDIT: Found the belt!

It's not the stretch belt, that seems to be in good working order. The belt in question here is the alternator/water pump.

Looks like I'll buy the belt in the morning, then find a shop to put it on (I don't nearly have the tools necessary for the job).

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pay later lol. Found a shop that'll do it. Whew! Now, once I get those gosh darned bearings fixed Tucker will be ready to go another 100k!

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
For the first time ever, my smart let me down.

So, my (Edited) Serpentine belt has been squealing ever since 40k.
Tucker let you down? Sounds like he carried you waaaaay beyond reasonable expectations...

We know times have been tough, but if at all possible you should try to replace BOTH belts?

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry, you're right. When it got all chopped up I broke into a bit panic attack, completely forgetting we're talking about a wear item that seems to have traveled twice the distance it was supposed to. I should edit the OP.

And indeed, no matter what's going on in life, the car has always there! (plus just a few months until I get that sweet sweet title)

If anything, I let the car down by not being able to get wear items replaced on time.

Anyway, I guess I can strike "squeaky belt" off the list of things that keep me up at night. The shop I'm taking it to tomorrow says they can only do both belts, which seems like a good idea to me!

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Sorry, you're right. When it got all chopped up I broke into a bit panic attack, completely forgetting we're talking about a wear item that seems to have traveled twice the distance it was supposed to. I should edit the OP.

And indeed, no matter what's going on in life, the car has always there! (plus just a few months until I get that sweet sweet title)

If anything, I let the car down by not being able to get wear items replaced on time.

Anyway, I guess I can strike "squeaky belt" off the list of things that keep me up at night. The shop I'm taking it to tomorrow says they can only do both belts, which seems like a good idea to me!
I would say you "lucked out" :D

Had it broken while running......you'd have burned up your motor :p

Great catch :)

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,782 Posts
The belt in question here is the alternator/water pump.
I would say you "lucked out" :D

Had it broken while running......you'd have burned up your motor :p
Let's hope that Neon "lucked out," a little disconcerting that it's been a couple days and we haven't heard anything further of his belt adventure . . .

:shrug:

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hiya all!! I lucked out! $100 for both belts. So what happened was that on the day I was supposed to get it done, the rest of the belt ate itself up, leaving my car stranded in the parking lot of my apartment.

No biggie, I found a shop that was 0.5 miles away. I could easily nurse the car a half mile.

Only problem was that a few nights prior, someone stole my Debit card. I had no money and the bank was 7 miles away. No way the smart was going to do that in 92 degree weather. So instead, I took off on my bicycle and made a 14 mile trip for the repair money.

After nearly dying of heat stroke, I made it back home 4 hours later.

I then hopped in Tucker and limped those 0.5 miles. We started with an engine temp of 92 degrees, finished with 158 degrees. $100 and 1 hour later saw myself with two new belts that so far, work magnificent!!

They couldn't even fit my car on their lift, so it took two guys to get it done (one topside guiding the guy running blind under the car). They didn't even take off my wheel! Just did it right on the floor in the shop. No jacks, ramps, or any assists at all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts