Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
panda,

solo has a flex joint. we were used to the sound. then drove a stock car for a day and liked it better. well any way the soslo is for sale. going today to order the rear valance so i can paint it and take it back to the stock look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Another broken catalytic convertor flange. 2009 Passion with 6500 total miles, 2500 miles with Solo center oval outlet exhaust with no flex joint. This is the original design with a spring joint. No warning. Just an increase in exhaust noise while driving @40mph. If you have any aftermarket exhaust on your Smart with out a flex joint I would be concerned.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Another broken catalytic convertor flange. 2009 Passion with 6500 total miles, 2500 miles with Solo center oval outlet exhaust with no flex joint. This is the original design with a spring joint. No warning. Just an increase in exhaust noise while driving @40mph. If you have any aftermarket exhaust on your Smart with out a flex joint I would be concerned.
Picture to follow.

Subscribed to this thread - I'd like to see the picture please.

·
Vendor
3,501 Posts
Wstaab,

I am sorry to hear that. We had several first gen Solo exhausts do that. The second gen had a flex that has been bulletproof.

Rachel and I are away from the shop this weekend at the Hoover Dam event.

Give us a call on Monday afternoon and we will assist you with the repair and a replacement exhaust with a flex. Our direct number is 562-882-1452.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All is well now. SmartMadness resolved the issue to my satisfaction quickly. If only all internet vendors were as good at customer service as SmartMadness the world would be a much better place.

·
Premium Member
7,618 Posts
Awakening a 2010 ZOMBIE!

ZOMBIE alert!

Another broken catalytic converter flange on an aftermarket exhaust. Our 2008 451 solid mount (non-flex) Breathless Exhaust - stealth touring suddenly became very noisy.

Expecting a muffler failure, we decided to change back to OEM.

All sounded very harmless until the dealer called and sent pictures of the DREADED BROKEN FLANGE! So what began as an easy $200 R&R will now be headed toward a $750+ wallet extraction!

Note, the dealer has indicated that this has/can and will happen even to an OEM exhaust with flex pipe. :shrug:

When I get a chance will try to upload some pictures. Oh, and of course the part IS NOT IN STOCK!

GOOD NEWS - our ED has no catalytic converter, flex pipe or muffler!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts