Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was attempting to change the oil in my 2008 451 (unsuccessfully, since I couldn't get the drain plug to budge) and noticed that I have a broken wire. It is the wire immediately to the right of the oil filter. The plug is a rounded square, blue connector. It looks like it may have been pulled to the breaking point at some point in the past. Could anyone tell me what this wire is connected to? It looks like it feeds into the main electrical cable that runs across the top of the engine compartment, but I couldn't verify that. There has been no reported errors or engine lights popping up, so I'm at a loss as to what it is used for. I also could not find an electrical schematic of any kind to point me to what it might be, so if anyone knows where to find one, that would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, that's the wire I'm talking about. I don't think a broken belt caused it, as I bought it with only 3000 miles on it and it's just now reaching 12000 (yes, really, on a 2008). I'm pretty sure the dealer that sold it to me busted the wire when they changed the oil. Though, I guess it's possible that it was a belt, since I'm about 90% sure it was towed at some point and I have no idea why.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think it would be possible to solder that wire back together, or would I have to replace the harness? I would imagine that replacing the entire harness would be a very expensive fix, so I would prefer to fix it, if possible.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sure, you can resolder, but you will need to cover the joint with weatherproof heat shrink or “liquid tape” to prevent rapid corrosion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts