Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone on the forum. I would just like to say thanks to everyone who contributes to the site. I have been mooching off all of the info on the site for a while now. My Smart was getting harder and harder to start but, I never got a misfire code. Turns out I was low on compression on 2 cylinders. I used the info om this site to diagnose comon problems before I tore the engine down. After pulling the engine apart the problem was the valve guides which seems to be a common problem I read. Mercedes does not offer them and neither does any aftermarket. Let me save you about 3 days of leg work and research and reassure you that it's true. You do have to buy the entire head and it is about $1250. I have a motorcycle shop and do engine rebuild quite often so, I had the valve guides custom machined by my machine shop that does my head work. It did cost some money up front to have this done.

I now would like to offer these valve guides up for sale. The guides I offer are to exact stock specifications and are silicon bronze. The intake guides that come in the Smart are already bronze but, the exhaust guides are steel. There is the problem. The exhaust guides wear out prematurely and cause all the problems.

I am selling the valve guides for $12 each. For $144 you can repair your existing head.

I just listed a set on ebay. Email me if you are interested in a set.

Thanks again for all the help.

Shannon Smith
eTown Inc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need a set of exhaust valve guides for the smart car but I know it has been some time for your post, would like to buy a set of the bronze exhaust valve guides. Please advise, I cannot get these anywhere as you mentioned. Can you give me a link or an email?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts