Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of doing service on my coupe and noticed something interesting. I was checking the fluids under the "hood" and saw that the coolant fluid was "bubbling." The car had not been run in a few days and the temp inside the garage was about 70 F. I had turned on the car to both Position 1 and Position 2 to check lights, windows, etc. The "P" on the shifter was still on when I noticed the bubbling, but the key was out. Eventually the bubbling stopped. I checked the coolant on my cabriolet with the key in all three positions and there was no bubbling. What was going on here?
Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 18,000 miles

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm going to guess entrapped air in the hose which was expanding from rise in temperature, unrelated to the ignition position.
If you sart and run it for a while, is the colant level low?

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Entrapped air or the coolant recycling somehow were my guesses. As for trapped air, why was it bubbling now? The car probably has sat in the garage unused for four or five days and the temperature probably never varied more than a few degrees over that period of time. Seems like if air was being released that it would have happened days ago. One more thing to throw in. I just changed the beads in the desiccant cartridge, so I opened up the battery compartment to R&R the cartridge. However, the coolant system is sealed and I wouldn't think that just opening up the battery would have any effect on the coolant.

Len

·
Registered
403 Posts
Entrapped air or the coolant recycling somehow were my guesses. As for trapped air, why was it bubbling now? The car probably has sat in the garage unused for four or five days and the temperature probably never varied more than a few degrees over that period of time. Seems like if air was being released that it would have happened days ago. One more thing to throw in. I just changed the beads in the desiccant cartridge, so I opened up the battery compartment to R&R the cartridge. However, the coolant system is sealed and I wouldn't think that just opening up the battery would have any effect on the coolant.

Len
Why now? If the fill is nominal, I could easily see a change of just a few degrees causing just enough expansion to bubble or, when the temp drops a few degrees to contract and suck. That may not be what's happeneing, but that's my guess. How's the fluid level? I would think if it's not low, this may not be the case.

·
Super Moderator
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments. The fluid level was well within normal range, maybe halfway between MAX and MIN. I added less than a cup to bring it up closer to MAX.

Len

1 - 5 of 5 Posts