Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,
As some of you may know I am taking the plunge at the end of the summer. For our honeymoon we are traveling out west, stopping at state parks, major city's and everything in between.
We also have decided to build our very own travel trailer for the occasion. The trailer is based on a [email protected] design, I am trying to keep it under 1300 lbs, the plan is to tow it with my V-6 GMC Sonoma pick-up
We are two weekends into design and construction at this point, we have about three months left and the clock is ticking.
The only thing this thread has to do with Smart Cars is that you fine folks are helping to pay for it, so please, buy some Genius brand parts!

·
Registered
32 Posts
that's freakin' awesome! would love to do something like that.....good luck with your build and definitely keep us posted with lots of pics.....

:hackitup:

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
"The only thing this thread has to do with Smart Cars is that you fine folks are helping to pay for it.........."

Good job on being completely honest Matt, that says a lot. :wink:

I gotta say I love your brake setup on it. Can't wait to see the progress....and completion.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Matt, are you putting the kitchen inside, or in the back lift up hatch? We rented a [email protected] a couple years ago. Really nice, and light weight. Bt. yellow two tone. Loved the handles on it. You could lift it up and move it around easy. The kitchen was inside, so you could smell cooked food all night in it. They make a model with the kitchen in back. Still wish I had my Grand Cherokee to pull one to Colorado next month to camp in. A large tent will have do.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
It looks like he can stand up in it. Would that make it a little too heavy to be pulled by a Smart car? I have seen some smaller tear drop camper trailers that can be pulled by a motorcycle (or a Smart?). Are there or will be there more photos of it?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The only thing this thread has to do with Smart Cars is that you fine folks are helping to pay for it, so please, buy some Genius brand parts!
YOU doing R&D!!!!!! :)
Matt, just scale it down by 50%. It would be perfect for the smart. Sleeps two plus small kitchenette. Perfect for weekend camping trips to the beach.

·
17,442 Posts
Just the fact it's being towed by the smaller engined 450 tells us something! :)

Congrats Matt!

I couldn't build something like that, I can barely repair something with superglue without bonding myself...
This might be forecasting a future mod? :wink:

Now you have a partner for builds too :D

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys,
I am shooting for a weight of about 1300 pounds. I think it would be way to big for a Smart to tow it, it is bigger than a Smart in every dimension.
It will have a kitchen inside as well as a couch/dining area/queen size bed.

Thanks to GodFather from these forums for pointing out that I had the axles mounted backwards!

I do have plans for a Smart car tow behind trailer.... If I ever get around to building it is another story.

Got to work on some more this weekend.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Looking great Matt!!

Quite similar to the Heartland MPG. We have one at work. You have a bit more of a teardrop shape though. Check out the link for floorplans. You may decide you want to add a slide at the last moment. :)

·
17,442 Posts
I think he'll have to pull back the door farther...

·
Registered
793 Posts
for the queen bed use a light weight thin mattress and a 3" memory foam topper. That will save weight and your back will actually think its in an expensive one.... We did this when we rented an RV and let me tell you the bed was GREAT!

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Yeah, most likely he was planning on just tearing down the garage once the trailer was complete. :rolleyes: That's what I'd do......a reason to get a bigger garage able to handle the larger projects.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
for the queen bed use a light weight thin mattress and a 3" memory foam topper. That will save weight and your back will actually think its in an expensive one.... We did this when we rented an RV and let me tell you the bed was GREAT!
Another slightly more expensive alternative that is growing in popularity with the RV crowd is a Select Comfort (Sleep Number) Bed. Lightweight and adjustable - add a memory foam topper and you're in heaven. They can be had on Craigslist for a reasonable price....even cheaper if someone died in it. :eek:

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Another slightly more expensive alternative that is growing in popularity with the RV crowd is a Select Comfort (Sleep Number) Bed. Lightweight and adjustable - add a memory foam topper and you're in heaven. They can be had on Craigslist for a reasonable price....even cheaper if someone died in it. :eek:
Funny, when I search craigslist for select comfort, I come up with a bunch of Comfort Select breast pumps:eek:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts