Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Bull bar for my smart car off of ebay and it didnt come with instructions. Does anyone have any instructions sheets from their installs? I did figure out where the two supports go however there are a few extra bits in the kit I have no idea where they go.

Thanks!

-Simon

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am in the same boat as you were! My bullbar just arrived and it would save time to know what they intended for those small plates with the bolts welded on. I emailed the eBay seller in hopes he can email me the instructions or give me a link to them.

I am also surprised just how heavy this bar is.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told to throw those away as they are not needed. I have a pictorial sheet that was emailed to me if you need it.

I had to fabricate a second set of mounts because I didnt feel comfortable with just the two mounting points through the cars thin sheet metal

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes, I would love to have a copy of what they emailed you. Thanks! I have not heard back from the seller as yet, and I am anxious to attach my latest trinket. I would also be interested in seeing or hearing more about the brackets (?) you added. Affixing this bar only at the bottom does not seem optimum...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim, I sent you the sheet.

Everyone, Yes, its great to help each other out. I belong to another forum (6pack.org) which is a Triumph TR6 club. I have long since sold my TR6, but I still chat with my long time members who've I met along the way on a daily basis. Great people there and I can say there are great people here. The irony is that they do a yearly TRials meet and Ive been invited to bring my Smart car! That said, I am guaranteed to win an award of "Unusual other car"

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So in addition to the instruction sheet I used to mount the Bull Bar, I found it necessary to add two more supports to help spread the shear load. My flat iron pieces are welded to the crash bar and the lower portion is drilled to fit the unused hole in the bull bar bracket. It can all be unbolted except for the two flat parts which are welded to the crash bar.

All that said, keep in mind that the cross braces that I added cross in front of the factory driving light mounts. (See pic) In my case, I went with Brabus LED driving lights which are thin and are supported solely by the bumper plastics.
If you have the factory incandescent driving lights, you will need to figure out another method to support the front part of the bull bar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I converted the PDF file to a jpg so I can upload it through my photo bucket.

Here it is for anyone else needing instructions on installing a bull bar sourced from ebay. I think its a great bull bar for the $105.00

·
Registered
271 Posts
Simon, you are my hero! All mounted up now, thanks to you. I appreciate you posting the photos of your reinforced mounting, as well.

If anyone else has been on the fence about getting a bullbar, this one really is a bargain. It fits very nicely and looks super! Photos tomorrow!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are welcome!

One thing to keep in mind is that you have an even lower part of the car to worry about. My wife already scrubbed the bull bar bottom (BBB) on a curved curb leading up to a driveway. You must approach such in a slow manner. Honestly, I was more worried the airbags would go off since I welded a support to the crash bar which has the airbag sensors on it!
My bull bar came with cheap pan head allen hardware which I threw out and used grade 8.8 metric bolts.
It is a sturdy mounting and feel it will help protect the car from flying tire carcasses out here. We are the king state of lost rubber and debris on the highways.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow , you're my hero, I got my car 1 year ago, in fact I had purchased the bullbar from ebay long before I bought the car, here's my problem...I bought a 2009 Brabus, the front lower "spoiler" sticks out too far not letting me mount the bar unless I replace the lower lip of the facia , or make/extend the brackets, I got the top bolt mounted but figured the second hole was to be fastened to the "Plastic" core support, not too happy with that Idea.....I like your support bracket so I will try it, thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts