Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody! I finally was able to force Butch to organize his garage enough to get his vette out of the garage. This is a 1982 black cross-fire injection corvette.

Here is what was surprising...he hasn't started the car in over 5 YEARS! When he put it away, he had half a tank in the car and he put stabil in the tank. After a 10 minute charge, THE CORVETTE STARTED RIGHT UP! NO SHUDDERING, NO NOTHING! It was beyond amazing! :eek:

We drove it to the gas station to get gas for the vette. The brake lines and calipers are stainless steel and it has silicone brake fluid, but the lines still absorbed water. He just ordered $700 calipers for all four sides because we can't stop the car easily. In fact, getting to the gas station down the street was very scary!

After bleeding the brake lines and putting fresh fluid in, the stopping power didn't increase that much at all. We waxed it and cleaned out the interior. He did take it to the show though and it attracted a great deal of attention.

THE TIRES ON THE CAR ARE THE OEM TIRES! THEY WEREN'T FLAT AND THEY ARE 30 YEARS OLD WITH NO DRY ROT AT ALL! THEY LOOK BRAND NEW!!!!

In fact, the only thing that isn't factory on that car is the stereo. He swore when he got it that the vette would be the only thing he wouldn't touch.

He is selling it for $20k OBO. What a great car. He doesn't want to sell it, but he has his Avalanche and he doesn't need the vette.

I aligned the smart to the nose of the vette and took some pictures right before we went to the show. It's amazing how much longer the vette is. The engine compartment is as long as the car!

Here are the pictures. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Wow, $20K ... I spent that much on my smart! Go get it Kermit!!

But then, 20K is just the beginning. Even if I could buy it, I couldn't afford to own it. :eek:

Two great looking cars 111.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The insurance would be awesome for that car. Usually no matter what age, since it is an older car, the insurance rates would be very low.

We just filled up the transmission with four quarts of fluid. It leaked out and we found the leak and fixed that. It was a loose hose on the transmission radiator.

We are going to change the oil in that since it is so old, I can't even imagine how much that oil broke down. It's going to get Shell Rotella T. That's one of the best dino oils out there.

I gave Butch a spare bottle I had of Red Line fuel system cleaner for the car. It's in the gas tank and working it's Red Line magic to clean out those injectors and make sure everything in the upper cylinder wall is lubricated and whatever else that stuff does! :D

·
Super Moderator
29,021 Posts
I had an 81, white over red with the 4 speed. Very much like the USA Brabus - looked great, no power. I think the 82s with Crossfire injection (TBI) were rated at something like 230 hp. It took the Corvette almost 10 years to get back to a 300 hp engine. :)

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had an 81, white over red with the 4 speed. Very much like the USA Brabus - looked great, no power. I think the 82s with Crossfire injection (TBI) were rated at something like 230 hp. It took the Corvette almost 10 years to get back to a 300 hp engine. :)
Butch got that vette because it was rumored to be one of the last v8 engines they would make for the vette. That was the period of time where the environmentalists were starting to get frisky with smoggy cars and v8 engines. That vette is very smogged out and the compression was lowered and the intake was designed to get hot air. You could chip the car and get more power and raise the compression and eliminate the smog stuff that Chevrolet put in there for the environmentalists to be happier.

What was interesting is that this body style was copied from the Pontiac GTO which was known as one of the most beautiful cars. The only real difference is that in the front of both, Pontiac on the edges of the hood rounded off the lines and Chevrolet pointed them.

Even though it didn't have that much overall power, it does have an incredible amount of low end power. :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I like Rotella T for diesels :wink: but just bought some Royal Purple for one of my diesels, just got another tractor with a front end loader.

We once left the oil in our Vette for about 10 years, no oil change. Latest oil change was about 4 years ago. Might be time to change it again.

17k on it, awesome. That black is just mouth watering, sorry had to say it again. Just stunning. The Cross Fire Injection motor isn't one of my favorites, had a black '84 back in the day. Only one in that body style I had was an '80. Blue w/oyster interior.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speaking for Butch here, but he would say thank you for the paint compliments. He gets them a ton and the reason why the black is stunning for the age is that he always buffed, waxed, and polished the car (and kept it garaged with no car cover on it (because they are bad for a car)). The car does have some battle scars since it was at one point his daily driver, even in the snow since his avalanche at the time was in the shop.

At some points on the car, you can see where the black has come off a bit because he over-polished, buffed, and waxed the car. When you do that too much, you start to take off the paint of the car since these cars didn't have a clear coat on them.

Rotella T is excellent for diesels and it is meant to be more a diesel dino oil, but because it is meant for diesels, it does have a good protection at higher temperatures.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When we were removing the Mother's Advanced Reflections wax yesterday off the black, after a few movements with the micro-fiber cloth, I looked and the black was on the towel. I was freaking out a bit over that, but Butch told me that's what happens. :D

·
Registered
7,326 Posts
My Brother had a brand new L-82, or 88 don't remember, stick shift, 79 Corvette, just like that black one. From the factory, all of them new had really bad paint jobs. He traded it for a brand new 1982 bright red one, with silver t-top, and red leather interior. We always got discounts on new Chevy's, working at the dealership. The 82 model Vette was a dog, compared to my TransAm. That's a pretty Corvette there.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Vettes are cool, a buddy of mine in college has a '62 that had been lowered and had a 427 dropped in (before he got it). That thing went like stink! IT was a killa!

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The Vette looks very good, but the Smart is certainly smarter to own, the insurance on Corvettes is very expensive from what i recall.

·
Registered
651 Posts
smartcar111 writes "What was interesting is that this body style was copied from the Pontiac GTO which was known as one of the most beautiful cars. The only real difference is that in the front of both, Pontiac on the edges of the hood rounded off the lines and Chevrolet pointed them.":confused::eek:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts