Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,722 Posts
...all they did was plug it in and then tell me "it's not charging". They couldn't even be bothered to scan for error codes since they said if the battery is dead there's nothing they can do and they don't want to waste their time. Felt like a waste of time/$ to tow it there, but at least I have their statement that it's unfixable in case we get class action action going...
Oh it’s “fixable” if you offer up about $10,000!

Hopefully the smart Center provided you with a work order whereon they have noted that the HV is BRICKED? This would be important if you intend to pursue a Class Action.

Of course if it is your intent to sell the sled for “parts” you may have already decided to move on?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, they did offer to install a new battery for $9700 but they did note that this was "likely more than the value of the vehicle".

And yes, I did get a work order stating that the battery will not charge and is permanently damaged, thank you.

Definitely decided to "move on" but will pursue this if I can get a lawyer who is interested. My wife and I will simply start sharing our other, gas-powered car for the foreseeable future.

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Thanks for the replies. So it looks like your car is at least the second one we know of that bricked even after the service campaign. So that kind of rules out that campaign as being the fix for a 12v battery going bad. You might consider taking your issue up to the regional director for Mercedes. Won't cost you anything and the worst they will say a "Sorry, no can help." Might even mention your consideration of doing a class action suit or even having your lawyer make that call. Again, won't cost you anything and they may help you out just to shut you up and avoid bad publicity. Of course you would be in a better position if you still had the car in your possession. Just a couple of random thoughts for what they are worth.

Good luck in whatever course you choose. We're here if you need us for anything.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 20,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 18,500 miles

21 - 23 of 23 Posts